PDA

View Full Version here: : Done it : ordered the HEQ5 - now for the OTA

DJ N
13-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Hello all, well “the procrastinator” has done it. I have ordered the Pro Series HEQ5 mount (with v3 controller) and it should arrive later this week. Over the last few days did deliberate over the HEQ5 versus EQ6, but finally decided on the HEQ5.

Now for the next big question – still cannot decide on the OTA. I am hoping the tube that I decide on will be utilised for both visual use as well as for photography. From a photography point of view, I think I will be predominantly be concentrating on deep sky and lunar, but would like to do a bit of the planets now and then.

So my choices (in no particular order)

100mm ED Pro Series refractor
8 inch Celestron C8 SCT
200mm reflector (f5)
80mm ED Pro Series refractor

Initially I had set my heart on the 100mm ED, but is it worth double the investment over the 80mm? Then I started thinking, well what about 8 inch SCT or 8 inch Newt (as was suggested on a previous thread - assuming the Newtonian will fall within carrying capacity of mount)?

I always hear aperture is everything, but does a central obstruction play a significant part???

Look forward to everyones thoughts.

Cheers,

Daniel

iceman
13-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Deep space photography usually requires a significantly different OTA than one that will do the moon and planets (well).

For the planets, you want a long focal length newt or SCT, like a 10" newt or 9.25" or 11" SCT.

For DSO's, it's easiest to start with a short focal length refractor, like an ED80 or ED100. Of course you can use a C925 on deep space, but the long focal length highlights tracking inaccuries and the seeing starts to have more of an effect. For someone starting out, an ED80 would be a fantastic choice for deep space photography on that mount.

ving
13-12-2006, 09:05 AM
i run a 8" f6 reflector on my heq5 and its right on the border of needing extra weights.... but its great visually :) and the mount handles it with ease.

of the ones you have pointd out tho i'd go a the c8 especailly since its shorter then a 8" newt and therefore probably easier for the mount to swing around. the c8 is also lighter by a bit (not sure of weights) and with a longer fl it would be easier to use on planets. the newt would be better for wideer fields as you wouldnt need a focal reducer... anyhow my answer is it betweenteh 2 8 inchers cause you want to do visual too...

if it were just pics i might have said ed100... might...

and if you buy the 8" sct and decide you dont want it i'll swap my 8" f6 newt for it ;)

Harb
13-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Crickey Daniel,
Between you new mount and my new scope, it could well be cloudy till easter ;)

Have you looked at the Williams Optics stuff, I just love my Megrez 80 have a look at Andrews Comms.......

good luck

Robert_T
13-12-2006, 10:06 AM
aperture IS everything:P

seriously though it would be difficult as Mike points out to do all the things you want to do (well) with one OTA. I think the closest is the 8in SCT. This is ideal for lunar and planetary work, gives you the extra light gathering over the refractors and can have a focal reducer fitted for use in deep sky photography (brings F ration down from F10 to F6.3 or F3.3). It will also be a lot steadier on the mount than an 8in newt.

the central obstruction reduces contrast compared with refractors, but you will see more detail because of the greater aperture.

cheers,

allan gould
13-12-2006, 10:12 AM
I agree with Robert_T. I would recommend the 8"SCT on the HEQ5-Pro, as that is what I am running at the moment. Doing astrophotography with a f6.3 reducer and DSLR is great with this setup and the mount can easily accomodate the extraweight of guidescope etc. You can easily put a 2" diagonal and get a UWA 30mm eyepiece and use that to easily galaxy hop. Have found this combo to be the best travel scope for me. At home I set up a 10"SCT on Losmandy G11 - a lot more time and investment all round.

allan gould
13-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Have been able to locate an 8" SCT second hand for you. I have no relationship with either vendor but at $600 second hand it appears to be a good deal. I'm currently using the same model for my DSLR work. PM me for location

sejanus
13-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Daniel I have NFI compared to most of the guys here but I will say that I have a 80ED and a C11 and I really like the 80ED a lot - within it's limits. Awesome contrast and really sharp optics. Maybe if you can get a 2nd hand sct cheap enough you can get both, I notice andrews are selling the 80ED for $550 new.

DJ N
13-12-2006, 02:35 PM
I have been considering that advice. Oh so many choices!!! I was considering the 100ED over the 80ED, but I am not sure if its worth double the price?

Cheers

ballaratdragons
13-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Daniel,

If this info is of any use to you, I use both my 12" reflector and an 80ED for Astropics, and I prefer the images given by the 80ED.

sejanus
13-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Daniel I've never looked through a 100mm but I reckon if your mount can take it, get a twin dovetail thingy and get a SCT + the 80ED and run them in parallel!

ballaratdragons
14-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Oh, by the way, the ED80 'PRO' is just a normal ED80 painted gold and white :thumbsup:

Up to you if you want to pay extra for the colour.