PDA

View Full Version here: : Miniature USBs

pjphilli
29-04-2017, 02:52 PM
After a long spell of inactivity due to poor skies I was able to crank up my rig last night in a spell of low temperature/humidity.

I had problems with both my imaging and guiding cameras with their software repeatedly indicating "no camera". Both cameras use miniature usb plug/sockets which are unsuited to outdoor use and owing to their loose fitting are prone to movement as the cameras track across the sky.
I make an effort to restrain the tension on the cable/camera interfaces.

After a few replugs both cameras came good for the rest of the imaging session.

In the past I have replaced the camera leads as regular USB to miniature USB leads are relatively inexpensive to obtain. However, replacing the miniature USB camera sockets would be a difficult task (and what would be the alternative?)

Perhaps there is a good cleaning agent to spruce up the contacts? I hesitate to spray them with WD40!

Any suggestions for possible solutions?

Peter

dannat
29-04-2017, 03:19 PM
rub the contacts with steel wool, if you can't get that in there i try & use a ladies metal nail file, cleans the contacts up good

sharkbite
29-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Matey...

Get some contact cleaner lubricant from jaycar...
That will clean the connector of any corrosion..

Cheers

pjphilli
30-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Thanks for these suggestions
Peter

sil
08-05-2017, 03:59 PM
there's also fibreglass pencils, tight bristle brushes for scrubbing corrosion off electrical contacts. Jaycar also have Deoxit which I've used for years, like a two bottle nailpolish kit, one cleans and the other protects, works a treat when I find a leaked battery in something, cleaner used along with a fibreglass pencil can really get into tight spaces.

pjphilli
10-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Thanks Sil - I will certainly get some of the cleaner from Jaycar next time
I am in the city.