PDA

View Full Version here: : For the Birdos

Derek Klepp
29-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Thought this may interest those birdwatchers out there.These Torresian crow young are from the same parents.Their siblings and parents are Black.

Nebulous
29-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Fascinating pictures. Neither albino nor black, I wonder what that was about?

We get similar birds here in WA but I've never been sure what they're called. Most people refer to them as crows but some say that the ones here should be called ravens. So I really don't know what to call them. unlike many of the other species we see near the house they have never grown to trust us and are very watchful.

They seem very intelligent and also apparently have strong bonds. When a younger bird was killed nearby some years ago the surviving adult pair mourned loudly for hours.

The attached picture was also taken on a 7DMk2. Is it a crow, a raven or are both names applicable?

Cheers,

Chris

Derek Klepp
29-04-2017, 03:50 PM
Chris that looks like an Australian Raven to me.

Nebulous
29-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Thanks Derek. :)

AstralTraveller
29-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Two theories.

1) It's a throwback. Their great great great great grandmother had a fling with a Grey Currawong.

2) Peroxide.

Nebulous
29-04-2017, 08:55 PM
I like the currawong theory. :)

REVEREND
30-04-2017, 01:12 PM
They don't look like T Crows to me. The bill is too small and not long enough. The bill on a T Crow is longer than the head. With the bird on the left not looking at the camera , its hard to say what it is .How big were the birds ? My guess ( I did say guess.;) ) is that its Cicadabird. I have been wrong before. Just my thoughts.
Cheers Reverend.

DarkKnight
30-04-2017, 10:00 PM
How about this pair of Noisy Miners, one melanistic and the other leucistic.

Both shots taken in my yard at different times.

Derek Klepp
01-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Kev interesting variations I have alt of noisy miners around the Honey shed but have yet to see any variants.
Rev the parents of both birds are Torresian crows both having the distinguishing white under feathers.I will try to get a family shot but I am guessing that the variant may not last long .

Nebulous
01-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Beautiful shots Kev. You've captured a 'three for the price of one' in that picture. Two good portraits and another in the bath for good measure. I never tire of the sight of birds splashing about in the bird-bath(s) in our garden. Providing water for both drinking and bathing purposes seems to be the simplest and cheapest lure for attracting visitors.

Cheers,

Chris