PDA

View Full Version here: : Baader Diamond Steeltrack focusers?

garymck
19-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Hi,
looking to change the focuser on my Skywatcher Quattro newt (floppy,bendy,changes collimation under load). Has anyone any experience of the Baader Steeltrack focusers? Wondering if they are a good alternative to a Moonlight as they are a bit cheaper.....Can't afford a Feathertouch :-(

cheers
Gary

glend
19-04-2017, 08:20 AM
I have one Gary, it came with an Edge HD that i bought. Very solid, and carries weight with no issues, it can be adjusted as well, so you can collimate it to your scope. Just make sure the one you get can fit your tube and has the necessary adaptor plate. Check Tekeskop-Express as they carry the range and adaptors.

garymck
19-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Thanks Glen,
still tossing up between Moonlight (easier installation, no holes to drill) and Baader (price)

My main issue with Moonlights is that over the years I've had 3 of them, and each one developed rough spots where the bearings contact the tube. My latest one on my C11, has barely been used, yet has already had the rough spots develop where the anodizing has broken down. (and no, I have not altered the pressure on the focuser). I have no doubt that Moonlight would replace it if I contacted them (they replaced one of the tubes without issue in an earlier scope, the second one was on a scope I sold) as they have stunning customer service. It's just that, I wonder about the longevity of them now....and the Steeltracks look like a good option
cheers
Gary