PDA

View Full Version here: : Painting telescope tube?

Juno
10-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Any recommendations on what type of paint ( I want to paint mine midnight blue, like Orions Skyquest XT8 plus) can be used if one wants to go about painting their Dobsonian tube and base?

OzEclipse
11-04-2017, 12:27 AM
If the tube is already painted and you are repainting, use wet and dry sandpaper and sand it down with water. If it is a first paint onto raw metal, using a metal etching primer. You can put a layer of rust stop over that and then the final colour coat, The final paint layer can be an exterior house paint that you apply with a brush or a roller or you can shop for car duco spray paint at an auto shop which can give you a beautiful mirror gloss finish. Done properly, these will last for many years because they don't get the daily harsh sun, rain and nightly cold temps that they are designed for. I painted mine this way in 1980. Hasn't needed a re-coat in 37 years.

Joe

Saturnine
11-04-2017, 07:51 AM
Have used Appliance White spray enamel and a few other colours of spray enamel quite successfully on my scope tubes. Just let it cure for a few days after coating before you start handling the tube, gives time for the paint to develop a harder skin.
Will still chip if bumped against sharp or hard objects so gentle handling is advised ( goes without saying ).

Tony Leece
22-04-2017, 12:06 AM
Powdercoat, i got it done on my skywatcher 200mm newt

Juno
24-04-2017, 01:25 PM
What is the brand name and name of the powdercoat you have used?

and do you have pics of your telescope? :)

LewisM
24-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Powdercoating is a proprietary method, not a brand. Just take it to any powdercoater and they'll give you a quote.

Last time I checked, it was $50 for a refractor tube.

I elected to paint myself for much less.