PDA

View Full Version here: : Spectoscopic Binary NZ Vel

Terry B
01-04-2017, 10:42 PM
I have recently purchased a LHIRESIII spectrograph that gives me much higher resolution thatn my LISA spectrograph. This has also coincided with vast amounts of cloud and rain as would be expected. Sorry.:D
Anyway, I wanted to test the accuracy of my measurements and felt that attempting to measure the phase of a spectroscopic binary would be a good test.
I searched for reasonably bright known star from 9th catalogue of spectroscopic binaries (http://sb9.astro.ulb.ac.be/mainform.cgi) that is high in the sky at the moment.
I selected NZ Vel (HD74146) which is a mag 5.19 star that does not eclipse. The historic measurements that were used to measure the period are in the catalogue so available for comparison purposes.
I have only been able to take 4 spectra due to the crappy weather. I measured the doppler shift of the Ha line for these 4 measurements and have plotted them against the historic data.
I'm very happy to demonstrate that my data fits very well into the phase curve. The phase graph is below as well as a graph of the 4 spectra demonstrating clearly the shift with time both red shifted and blue shifted depending on the phase.
I will try another binary with less doppler shift soon when the weather improves to see if smaller shifts are detectable.

beren
03-04-2017, 11:10 AM
:thumbsup: sorry this is advanced for me to add anything but great work, so interesting and congrats on the new gear