PDA

View Full Version here: : Teflon/delrin shims

LewisM
18-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Looking for a supplier of "washer" style larger delrin/teflon shims - need to be thin. To be used in rebuilding a mount head.

Help appreciated.

AussieBill
18-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Hello Lewis,

I can get scraps & tail ends of Delrin sticks from local bearing shops, maybe you have some bearing shops nearby and then you get some scraps and could make your own washers ?

Bill

rrussell1962
18-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Deep Space Products in the US used to offer teflon rings cut to size if you supplied the dimensions. Don't know if they still do though.

Boozlefoot
18-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Hi Lewis,
Try Smallparts.com.au by giving them a call weekdays. I used to source from them, when in the bearing industry. They have lots of suppliers for similar type gear.

Cheers,Rod

LewisM
18-03-2017, 05:07 PM
All good suggestions, thanks. I will try eBay one last time, but so far, pretty much all I can find are motor shims for RC models, which are too small.

Tinderboxsky
18-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Hi Lewis,
Perhaps Graeme Beasley in NZ can machine some for you. He makes fine teflon thrust washers as part of his after market upgrade kits for Ioptron alt-az mounts. I have used his services - he is thoroughly professional and his work is excellent.

Steve

LewisM
18-03-2017, 07:24 PM
If I could find the Astro Baby HEQ5/NEQ6 rebuild tutorial, she lists where to buy the shims. Anyone?

Otherwise, I'll try Graeme - got an email address?

billdan
18-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Lewis,

This is a quote from Mels site (this is 3 years old now since I saved her tune up guide)

Shims
Pack of Delrin shims in assorted sizes. These can be acquired from;
skygazer@kennaquhair.com

Cheers

LewisM
18-03-2017, 09:17 PM
Thanks!

Tinderboxsky
19-03-2017, 12:52 PM
It is Graham Beasley not Graeme - my mistake and apologies to Graham. Graham is a member here, so you can contact him by PM. You could also check with Phil as he has had work done by Graham.

iborg
19-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Hi

If you can cut to size yourself, I have some teflon sheet, about 1mm thick.

For a smallish amount, like for a few washers, no charge. I can simply cut an envelope size square for you.

Let me know if you would like some.

Philip

LewisM
20-03-2017, 08:24 AM
Philip, many thanks for the offer - I found a solution last night whcih worked very well.

I cut some shims from a roll of 0.3mm thick aluminium flashing I had (well, forgot I had since this hectic relocation interstate...er, inter-territory) and this did the trick. I also flat sanded the cast aluminium dec head, and now it is flat, so doesn't touch even without the shims.

All good, but again, many thanks for the offer.

iborg
20-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Glad you found a solution.

Have fun

Philip