PDA

View Full Version here: : Prof. Brian Cox @ Mt Stromlo - ABC tonight

Kunama
07-03-2017, 07:57 AM
FYI

ABC screens tonight at 8pm featuring:
Part 1: "Creation" Professor Brian Cox and Professor Naomi McClure-Griffiths

Should be some good aerial drone views of the MSO as well.....

Part 2: on the 14th March.

Cheers,
Matt

JA
07-03-2017, 03:13 PM
Thanks Matt:thumbsup:

Best
JA

Kunama
07-03-2017, 04:22 PM
No worries JA. The day of the filming was a typical Canberra freezing cold windy one on Mt Stromlo. Brian had just come here from the European summer and really felt it.

You might even see Brian and Naomi using my "Guinevere" 18"F5.6 Dob to view NGC3372... ;)

JA
07-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Kudos !!!
Just one thing - If it's your Guinevere, doesn't that make you Arthur , or Lancelot, depending on how you see things?

Best
JA

Kunama
08-03-2017, 06:14 AM
Looks like the MSO part will be in Part 2, to be aired on 14.3.17......

Cheers,
Art.....

astroron
08-03-2017, 02:45 PM
I wasn't impressed with either Prof Cox or the female astronomer,(cant think of her name ?:() trying to explain as to what happened before the big bang,they both stumbled quite a bit,which made it quite difficult to follow their chain of thought.

They really should have shot that piece again to make it easier to understand

I think quite a bit of it was rushed,it could have been slowed down as it is quite a difficult subject for the average astronomer never mind Joe Public.
I enjoyed it none the less and will look forward to the next installment.
Cheers:thumbsup:

Camelopardalis
08-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Brian obviously hadn't been lecturing in Manchester then, as March is far from summer round those parts :lol:

Kunama
14-03-2017, 06:34 PM
I think he had been at his house in Southern France with his new TOA130 :thumbsup:

Kunama
14-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Part II " End" screening at 8pm tonight

JA
14-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Nice Scope .... Kudos / Complimenti !!!

Best
JA

leon
15-03-2017, 07:10 AM
Well I thought I might watch this last night as I do like his programs, but turned it off half way through, to much noise and constant exploding graphics, it was a bit over the top.

Leon

LewisM
15-03-2017, 12:00 PM
I just managed to catch it on iView. Interesting, but didn't go deep enough IMHO. A little too simplistic in my view, and as Ron said, rushed, but none-the-less interesting. Certainly a level above DeGrasse-Tyson's mess of a series.

Nice to see Guinevere on "stage", and after having used her now (my, that sounds somewhat crude... :P), as well as my VERY impressed wife using it (she hung around Matt, ignoring Phil and I with the piddly refractors :) ), I can well understand the smiles on their faces on screen. A truly magnificent scope that not only looks beautiful, but performs astoundingly well. I was a little miffed not to see Matt's name mentioned in the acknowledgements or thanks :shrug:

Kunama
15-03-2017, 02:44 PM
The program was obviously targeted to the wider (non-enthusiast) audience and as such a good show. I did very much enjoy chatting with both Brian Cox and Naomi McClure-Griffiths and they did sign my other scope.....

I also spent some time with cosmologist Dr Brad Tucker, at Mt Stromlo showing him and his son some sights through the TOA130.

LewisM
15-03-2017, 08:34 PM
The new Brian Cox Stargazing LIVE event on ABC sounds fascinating.

issdaol
15-03-2017, 10:42 PM
I'm sure that was Matt's Van in the carpark in the opening scene as the camera panned around at Stromlo :-)

astroron
16-03-2017, 12:13 AM
I found that the second program was no better than the first.
He spent more time talking to his guests and really not including the audience of the show.
A lot of what he and the others like Brian Green just talked a lot of about what was pure speculation without a skerick of evidence.
The female astronomer in the purple top was just about unintelligible, giggling
and waving her arms about and really not saying to much at all in the conversation to do with the subject.
I think the whole thing was quite disappointing and in fact finished on an anticlimax.
One thing I did like was the scenery and the camera work.:)
I hope his Star gazing live program is a bit better.
Cheers:thumbsup:

Kunama
16-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Well picked out Phil. Not that it is that small a target.

@ Ron,
It really was aimed at people who have never pondered those age old questions, so yes, someone with your interest and experience would find it thin on substance.
The actual interviews that I was listening to at the time were far more in depth but ended up on the editor's floor for fear of being too boring to the general public.

LewisM
16-03-2017, 07:20 AM
Yep, the ISS uses the Bongo Van as a telemetry target when passing over Canberra :P

I mean, you could fit Tidbinbilla in the back...

issdaol
16-03-2017, 08:22 AM
I doubt it can keep track of the Bongo Van when it's cruising close to the speed of light between Yass and Canberra :D

Kunama
16-03-2017, 11:04 AM
That's why I'm glad I have the twin turbos, to keep up with the cruizer....

LewisM
16-03-2017, 01:47 PM
If the cruizer hits roos at impulse speed and he doesn't notice, one must wonder if those roos vaporise at warp speed

casstony
18-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Our family watch 'Adam Hills: The Last Leg' on ABC and Brian was on the show recently (episode 7, series 10). He let slip the F word out of frustration with the dopes who don't like scientific explanations for the origins of the universe - it's worth a look just for that moment :) .