PDA

View Full Version here: : gradient exterminator questions

traveller
06-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Been collecting data over the last week in the moonless and cloudless Melbourne nights, but light pollution is a real headache, esp when you live 10 kms from the city.
Anyway, been reading up on simple gradient removal tools and looked up a few video tutorials on line.
I am looking at Gradient Exterminator plug in for Photoshop. Looks like a simple to use product (if somewhat sensitive) and got a few good reviews.
so now a few questions:
Any views on this plug in from long time users?
Any new versions of the product or has it been "static"?
Assume it will work for DSLR and CCD images? :shrug:
Anything else I need to be aware of?
Thanks
Bo

Andy01
06-03-2017, 10:49 PM
Bo, I use it all the time- does what it says on the tin & does it well.
Easy to use too :thumbsup:

traveller
07-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Thanks Andy,
Has it been updated lately? Anything worth looking out for?
Bo

Tony_
09-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Hello Bo,

I use gradient exterminator - but I find it is best for uniform gradients, especially vignetting.
For uneven/variable gradients I use a free program called fitswork4 - it's gradient control is excellent and it has good ability to choose multiple areas that you don't want to include in the calculation (like faint nebulosity)..
It's free - so it's worth a try.

Tony.

PRejto
10-03-2017, 06:11 AM
I've used GEX for a long time. Sometimes it does seem like the settings can either be a bit too much, or not enough. In those cases, however, I've found that I can use a mask and apply exactly what I want (and where, if necessary). I'd be unhappy not to have this tool.
Peter

traveller
13-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Thanks Tony, I will give that a go. :thumbsup:

Thanks Peter, I have been using the Background Compensation function in Images Plus, which seem to yield similar results. Still learning the masking functions in PS too.
Bo

alpal
13-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Yes - I use fitswork4 -
it's excellent.