PDA

View Full Version here: : Telescope Imaging & Visual

astrosteve81
25-02-2017, 01:33 PM
I'm having this issue in which telescope to purchase, I've owned in the past William Optic 81GT, 71mm Astrograph, Stellarvue SV115 and a Edge HD 8"

Now it's time to get back into the hobby...... So some suggestions would be great.

Setup will be for Imaging and Visual Use (Let's put an eyepiece in and have a look around).

The three scopes I'm looking at are...
William Optics FLT 132
Stellarvue 130T
TeleVue NP 101is

I'm not really interested in any other types of telescopes so if you have any ideas I would like it to be based on these 3. All 3 scopes match my Pixel Per Resolution for my DSLR. If I want to shoot really widefield I use my lenses.

I guess my biggest question is really.... How good is the TeleVue optics over the other two?

Also let's not worry about what these scopes will be mounted too... I have that covered :)

Regards,
Steve

Atmos
25-02-2017, 01:41 PM
The TeleVue is possibly more plug and play photography wise as it doesn't require a flattener and it gives a large wide flat field visually.
The top two require a flattener of which they have a dedicated one. The top two will, from what I have read, perform a lot better on planetary and high magnification than the TeleVue will.

What is your main visual target?

astrosteve81
25-02-2017, 01:56 PM
That's what I was thinking, every time I'm always draw back to the TeleVue for astrophotography, insert the focal reducer and your imaging at f4.28.

I do enjoy a quick look at planets now and then, I'm sure adding a barlow and good eyepiece will give me views that are satisfactory.

glend
25-02-2017, 03:03 PM
I would buy the 130T for a couple of reasons: aperture and cost. A 29% increase in aperture can not be ignored. It appears to be near identical to the TS version of this scope and i have the 115mm version. The stock 2.5" focuser is up to the job. They are well made, easily reduced/corrected with the 3" Photoline 0.79x Reducer at $388 AUD from Teleskop-Express.
Save yourself $3k.

Atmos
25-02-2017, 03:39 PM
From what I've read on the TeleVue 101 & 127 series, the colour correction isn't as good for high magnification views as a similar sized triplet. It near cannot be beaten as a wide field perfectly corrected Milky Way surfer.

Manav
26-02-2017, 11:32 AM
My 2c are as follows:

I'd consider the choice between William Optics FLT 132 and Stellarvue 130T due to aperture. Both are good brands and out of these two I'd pick the one that is light on your wallet. :)

But if I had to pick one I'd go WO; again due to the aperture and some of these shots awesome CLICKY HERE (http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_gal/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_59).