PDA

View Full Version here: : First scope

Solanum
01-12-2006, 10:37 PM
This is the sort of post that you all dread...

I've been interested in astronomy for at least 20 years and (before kids) would spend some time out with binoculars and a star chart. Since moving to Mildura and seeing the beautiful dark skies, rarely any cloud and no sky glow (except for the neighbours security lights... and we do have dust problems fairly regularly...) I'm inspired to finally buy a 'scope. Now I'm not buying immeadiately and I'll have to buy this in Adelaide, but don't have anyone here to ask for advice, so....

If possible I'd like some specific comments on what is currently available (particularly in Adelaide) and may be suitable. I'm looking at spending $1500-1600 or there abouts, happy to spend a bit less, could stretch to a bit more if it was REALLY worth it. That price would have to include everything (even the tripod).

Obviosuly I want everything, I want automatic drive, I want goto, I want to be able to attach my Canon 350D, I want to see solar system objects I want to see deep space objects.....

I am particularly interested in trying my hand at photography with my dSLR so being able to use that and a motor drive are probably essential for me. Then I guess my preference may be for deep space rather than solar system objects (but only just). I guess I can live without goto, but a lot of scopes seem to come with it anyway these days, and I'm no martyr to doing things by hand.

So no doubt you're all bored of 'what scope should I get' posts, but I hope I've been specific enough to get specific advice and actually I don't see any recent 'what scope' posts, so there can't have been one for a while!

Thanks,

Everard

iceman
02-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Hi Everard! Don't worry about posting another "what scope should I get" thread :) We were all newbies once and we then loved to get the advice :) And there's plenty of helpful folk here who love to give it :)

For everything you want (goto/tracking), as well as being able to support astrophotography, I don't think $1500 is going to cut it i'm afraid. You'd really need to start at around $3000 and look at a 2nd hand LX90 or similar. There's been a few for sale on IIS lately.

Also for visual observing, what size aperture do you want? I take you want tracking and goto right off the bat, which does narrow the choice - otherwise you'd get 50 people telling you do buy a dob :)

Solanum
02-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Ah, I meant I wanted everything, but I wasn't actually expecting everything! I can't really justify more than $1500-1600 for the time being. I would really like to try my hand at photography with the 350D if possible so tracking would really be helpful. Goto is less essential as I'm sure learning how to properly align and point a scope by hand would be good for me!

I wasn't sure about aperture. I guess I want something that will be OK all round, without necessarily being ideal for any one thing. I am keen for some deep sky views as I said - being something you don't really get to see with binoculars.

Should I consider a second hand scope? I'm not sure I could easily judge what state the optics etc. were in? Plus being here in Mildura, does reduce ones options a little, and whilst I often go to Adelaide, I don't often have much spare time there.

I had noticed that dobsonians seem to be popular these days!

My impression of the market is that you've got the real rubbish, then the cheap 'proper' scopes at $600+ then somewhat better scopes at $1500+, better ones at $3,000+ and then of course the big ones! That's why I positioned myself at the $1500 bracket. If you really have to spend $3,000 to get something worthwhile I might have to wait a while.... If it's just my requirement for using the 350D that much then perhaps I should rethink what I do want...

Lester
02-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi Everard,

I'd say that for $1,500 you may be able to get a good seconhand 8" SCT with mount. Some of the older ones go for just over a $1,000 sometimes. They are large enough to give good views of most objects and portable enough to take with you when travelling. The camera can be piggy backed on the scope for wide field shots or shoot through the scope for close ups of the night sky.

The other alternative is get a Dobsonian and put it on a tracking platform. Here is a link to a supplier of such stuff from Adelaide.

http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au/

Good luck.

janoskiss
02-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi Everard, I would take it one step at a time and concentrate on visual astronomy for now. With your budget you can get a very nice visual setup that will make the most of your dark skies.

I would recommend spending 1/2 to 1/3 of your budget on the telescope and the rest on eyepieces and other accessories.

I would recommend a 10" Dobsonian (should cost < $800) + good set of eyepieces incl. a barlow, telrad finder. I know you wanted goto but if you buy a $1500 goto scope, most of the money goes into electronics, not the scope. A Dob can be outfitted later with object locator computer.

But everyone is different which is why if at all possible you should attend a viewing night (or two or several) at a local club / or group. It will really open your eyes to what is available and give you a feel for the different telescope and mount designs. They all exist for a reason, they each do something better than any other. ASV and/or the ASSA are good points of enquiry. If you could make it to Heathcote on Dec 16, for the xmas Starbeque, that would be the perfect opportunity to see lots of scopes of different designs and sizes. See http://www.asv.org.au/ for details.