PDA

View Full Version here: : Cleaning SCT corrector plate with Bintel UHTC cleaner

[1ponders]
30-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I know I could ring them, but it will be handy here for those who want to know later.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a bottle of the Bintel brand UHTC cleaner. Unfortunately it doesn't come with instructions (which would be pretty scary for a first time cleaner user). My question is:

After using the cleaner, should I wash the corrector down with distilled water to remove any remaining trace of the cleaner?

The reason I ask is I used the cleaner the other day to clean the glass cover of a CCD (yes I was very careful not to get any excess under the glass or in to the electronics). Much to my horror when I fired up the ToUam there were smears all over the screen and I had to use a clean dry qtip to basically buff the surface to remove the smear. Fortunately this didn't scratch or damage the glass cover.

Will the cleaner leave a residue that needs to be removed from the corrector?

matt
30-11-2006, 02:38 PM
It's interesting you ask this question, Paul.

I have cleaned my corrector with this Bintel ready-made fluid and found it does indeed leave smears and residue.

I was told it was made to pretty much the same as Dr Clay's recipe and wouldn't leave any signs of use:shrug:

What I do is use the cleaning fluid and then "touch up" any areas afterward by simply breathing on the plate and buffing off (gently, mind) with a dry cotton ball.

Works for me. However, you need to be careful you don't end up with tiny cotton fibres snagging around and under the corrector retaining ring. Not that they do any harm. It just has a tendency to make your scope look like it's wearing a fur-lined parka hood!!!:lol:

jase
30-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Hey Paul, the residue you discovered was probably not the cleaning solution, but that from the applicator. Whenever I've needed to do any optical cleaning (rarely, and try to avoid it), I've used surgical grade cotton swabs and tips. No residue or fuzzy bit are left behind.

I obtained a bottle of the Bintel cleaner before, so doubt the solution is at fault.

[1ponders]
30-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Are the surgical grade ones readily available Jase?

jase
30-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Yes, you should be able to get them from any decent chemist. Ask for surgical dressings. Ensure they are 100% pure cotton. You'll pay a bit extra for the sterile ones, but I've used both (non-sterile) and they work fine.

I actually ordered them online about two years ago. If I can find the URL, I'll send it to you. It maybe worth just googling it.

beren
30-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Paul I've followed the directions here http://www.arksky.org/asoclean.htm the cleaning fluid sold by Bintel is based on this .If you give the directions a look over you'll see the person warns not to apply the solution if the humidity reachs 65% or streaking will occur.I've used the solution a number of times with no hassles using cotton swabs brought from OPT

[1ponders]
30-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Jeez Stuart. I'll have to buy a dehumidifier first then. This is SE Qld where talking about here remember :lol:

Thanks mate

acropolite
30-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Yep, Stuart is spot on, Bintel's recipe is none other than Dr Clays magic recipe, I mixed some up before Bintel started supplying it.

Gama
30-11-2006, 10:23 PM
If you want to clean your Corrector or any lens for that matter, then get a proper cleaning fluid thats made specifically for lenses. I tried Bintels solution, plus all the other frankenstien mixes, but nothing and i mean NOTHING done a better job of removing smears, streaks, etc like the professional cleaners.
I got mine from CIG for the special coated lenses they use on equipment.
But look for similar cleaners in Pro photo camera shops. Not your local camera shop that sells kodak and family cameras. Now i use it on my 14" RCX and the results are really good.

h0ughy
01-12-2006, 07:38 AM
how did you go Paul from yesterday's little phone call!

[1ponders]
01-12-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm off today to pick them up h0ughy. ;)

5ash
01-12-2006, 08:42 AM
I use the isopropanol /water mixture suggested by meade with a trace of agfa agepon as a wetting agent . i apply and remove the solution as described by Dr clay using good quality /no additives kleenex tissues drawn across the surface not pressed on the surface. works fine. im a little apprehensive about the addition of windex to the mixture as in Dr clays recipe.
regards philip

Roger Davis
01-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Never had hassles with our UHTC fluid. Windex is fine, try the clear Windex instead maybe? The best cleaner to use is lab quality acetone, but be carefull of rubber and plastic components. Be sure you know what you are doing!!!!! The old discussion of "to clean or not to clean" is a good topic, check out other threads on this.

avandonk
01-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Pure isopropanol is best for cleaning optics for one simple physical reason, it evaporates at such a rate and the resultant cooling does NOT condense foreign matter from the atmosphere. It has a protective 'cloud' that stops extraneous contaminants from condensing and sticking to your optical surface.

Ethanol is just as good at cleaning but the high evaporation rate causes condensation of contaminants.

The amount of a contaminant needed to ruin an optical surface to a visual inspection is miniscule (this barely affects performance) but over agressive cleaning will ruin it forever..

BErt

5ash
01-12-2006, 05:18 PM
i agree with the comment to search for info on when to clean and when not to clean . a small amount of dust will not effect the image but removal and subsequent abrasion in cleaning will. so as a rule i clean rarely and only when i suspect that there is more permanent contamination. I have cleaned twice in the last two years.
regards philip

[1ponders]
01-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all the comments and thought guys. Yes my corrector really did need cleaning. It was pretty gross and blotchy.

I actually did a bit of an experiment. After blowing as much loose stuff off as I could, I cleaned one half using pure cotton wool balls and the UHTC cleaner and I used a microfibre clothe and the UHTC on the other. After doing a double round on each side (it was really grotty) and then finishing off with a dry microfibre cloth my corrector looks pristine again :) I won't be ashamed to take it out in public now :lol:

At this stage the jury is still out over which worked better for cleaning, the cotton or the microfibre. I did find the microfibre clothe easier to use though. One thing I did like about the fibre compared to the cotton was I din't have to keep changing the the clothe. I just refolded it to a new clean moist section. It also used much less fluid compared to the cotton balls. Also by folding it into a "long fold" I had more material to hold onto and therefore more control over it, plus there was less liklihood of pressing too hard. Using the cotton wool balls it was harder to judge when the ball was just touching and not too much pressure was being applied.

All in all I'm very happy with the end result.

BTW if you after the microfibre clothe. Get them from sunglasses stores or a chemist. I got 4 pieces, 2 from sunglasses stands, 1 from a chemist and one from a prescription glasses store. The glasses store was the only shop to charge me for the fibre, the others gave them to me ;)

h0ughy
01-12-2006, 11:06 PM
so did I lead you up the garden path:shrug: DID I help or waste your money?:whistle: the only thing is that the fibre wont really work on eyepieces except maybe 2" ones;)