PDA

View Full Version here: : compressed air blower

Merlin66
09-02-2017, 10:38 AM
I, like many of the members, like to keep our precious optics clean and dust free (it's especially important for me when we have reflective gratings involved).

The Rocket hand blower and photographic blower brush are good but it's always better to have a high pressure clean air blower.
I found some eBay canisters can be a problem - leaving residues etc.

The solution I use and highly recommend is the MG Chemicals "Super Duster 134"
This works 100%, non inflammable, no residue.
Available in Australia through Mektronics, Sydney
www.mektronics.com.au

Atmos
09-02-2017, 10:43 AM
I've never tried anything other than the little Rocket, I assume you'd use that first to remove as much as possible before the high pressure?

Merlin66
09-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Yeah,
That way you save some compressed air ;-)
(I go straight to the compressed air for the gratings - less chance of inadvertent contact which would definitely cause irreparable damage)

clive milne
09-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Officeworks sells cans of so called pressurised air....

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/clean-range-pressurised-air-duster-400ml-crpairdust

Only trouble being that it ain't air. The contents are in fact liquified propane... which could get exciting if you use it on electronics that include switching contacts.

I informed them more than a year ago that this was false advertising and flat out dangerous... the store staff were rude and condescending in response, and they're still selling it without any visible warnings.

Merlin66
09-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Yeah,
It's still available and has the potential of leaving residue on optics - NBG!!
The Super Duster 134 is NOT inflammable.....

Exfso
09-02-2017, 05:01 PM
I have one of these, they are brilliant.

https://canlessair.com.au/

Merlin66
09-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Hmmmm.
A bit more expensive than the $20 I paid......

Exfso
09-02-2017, 10:36 PM
True Ken, but when it runs out you just recharge the battery, does not take long to pay for itself. It is also excellent for all sorts of jobs, like blowing the crud out of computers etc. I use it all the time when making light boxes as well.

As far as I know all cans of air etc require a propellant, and I would not like to get that on optics. At least the hurricane uses an impeller, so all you get is high speed air. I have no affiliation at all with them, they just work, and do so very well.

Logieberra
11-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Nice Peter. Do you use the 300 of 400km/h version?

Exfso
12-02-2017, 10:27 PM
The 400kph version was not out when I got mine, it must be mind blowing, mine is brilliant...