PDA

View Full Version here: : Focus issue

rumples riot
17-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Now I need some help here. I have a 10 Lx200 as most of you know. On the back of that I put on a focal reducer first, then the field derotator, then the zero image focusor, then the off axis guider and finally the camera. With the focal reducer in place I cannot obtain focus. Now I know I have got a long focal train happening here, but Meade has implied that this should not be a problem.

I had wanted to use the focal reducer to get a wider field and speed up my shots and still use the field derotator to counteract field rotation. as Gary has suggested I could take short shots and not use the field derotator. But that would mean wasting $800.00.

Now if my scope has a focal length of 2500mm, and the tube is 500mm long why can't I gain focus? Can anyone help me work the numbers on this? All theories and comments considered.

Paul

Mick
17-11-2004, 09:38 PM
Paul, is it possible to move the mirror in or out of focus more with the original focuser, relock the mirror and then refocus with Zero image focuser at the new mirror position?

rumples riot
20-11-2004, 02:14 AM
They are ringing Meade to see what the problem is. Might try turning of the focus knob back, I don't think it will work, but you just never know. Thanks Guys for the advice, always worth another mind giving some imput and another angle to the problem.

Paul:)

gbeal
20-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Paul
I agree with Mick, try the "original" focus knob as this will affect the focus point, over and above the zero image shift focuser.
I have the same sort of setup on my Mewlon. I didn't like the slight image shift, so fitted a Moonlite dual speed to the rear thread. Now I can coarse focus with the "knob", and fine tune with the Moonlite. With large changes, like the bino viewer it is a definite plus.
Why waste the $800, couldn't you sell it?
Let us know if any of this works,
Gary

rumples riot
22-11-2004, 09:36 PM
thanks guys, I will give the focus knob suggestion a try. Just never know what can happen. I will get back to you when I have tried.

Paul