PDA

View Full Version here: : What do I need?

Abby96
27-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Hi there,

I've recently decided to upgrade from my first telescope (8" dobsonian) to a Celestron CGEM-925. I was wondering if there was anyone out there with one or something similar that would be able to recommend what else I should buy to accompany the telescope. I would like to start the perilous journey into astrophotography so any recommendations in that department would be great! I'll probably be shooting with my mum's Canon 5D.

I'm quite new to telescopes and all the gear and lingo that goes with it so please explain like I'm five. :help:

Cheers,
Abby.

raymo
27-01-2017, 06:37 PM
The 9.25" is a great scope, but a poor choice for venturing into
imaging with, owing to its 2350mm focal length. This great focal length
means that you will only be able to get very short exposures[subs]
without autoguiding the scope. You can get a reducer for it which
reduces the focal length down to around 1300mm, much better for imaging.
Its a great scope for experienced imagers, which you will eventually be.
Another great accessory is a Bahtinov mask for your scope, which will make precise
focusing[essential for imaging] simple and quick.
raymo

lazjen
27-01-2017, 06:40 PM
I'm sure a number of the wiser folks in here will give you more advice soon, but I'll start with a couple of points:

* There are a couple of beginner sub-forums here that would be worth going through as you can read what other people have gone through and asked. It'll help as there's also often more detailed explanations about various terms or items, etc.

* If you have access to a astro club or store, you might want to chat with the people there. You may also get to see the setups of other people and see what they do and and why.

* At a minimum, you'll need an adaptor from the Canon 5D to the scope - T-Ring (for example: http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/astroimaging-accessories/t-rings-and-adapters/t-ring-for-canon-eos-camera) - I'm not sure if there are other pieces that will be required to connect to your scope and to get the required spacing needed to focus.

* I can foresee other issues that will quickly arise as you gain experience that will require more gear, but that's a more in-depth discussion and I really think going back through the beginner forums will help.

If I may ask, what made you buy a Celestron CGEM-925?