PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ6..how good?

Doug
27-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Hello all.
I'm thinking of acquiring an EQ6 so that I can haunt a few dark sky sights.
I'd appreciate any feedback on this Mount's suitability for Astro-imaging.
Can it track reliably for up to 4 minutes, 10minutes or only 30 seconds?
I know that ultimately it is limited by the accuracy of polar alignment, balance wind force and so on, but given reasonably optimised conditions the mount will still have its limits.
If anyone has comments that might upset the moderators :mad: since this is a brand specific query, please just PM me.
cheers,
Doug

stephenmcnelley
28-11-2006, 12:06 AM
There is only one real problem Doug, you haven't specified what type and size of scope you intend to use the EQ6 for!

iceman
28-11-2006, 06:08 AM
I'm looking at getting an EQ6 as well, so interested in all replies :)

There's nothing that could be said that would need to be moderated? :shrug: The EQ6 is sold by a number of vendors and has been discussed many times in the past.

h0ughy
28-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Doug I have 2 eq6's and they have been used many times with varying loads on them, the heaviest being a 12" Meade SCT, the lightest being my ED80. I have the old 2.05a version of the hand controller and the new V3.01 ( and I am happy with this new one so far).

when you say can it track for up to 4 minutes - the answer is yes, but you have to drift align accurately to get it down to that, that is the same for any eq mount. up to 10 minutes, well again you have to accurately drift align and probably have that in a observatory. to get that you will need to run a PEC session first before imaging, then engage the Pec + Sidereal function for tracking. The advantage with the eq6 is that is has an auto guider port.

The advantages and cost far outweigh the disadvantages of this mount. There are pitfalls, but that will be a very individual, just search for EQ6 on the forum and you will find heaps of posts about the mount.

33South
28-11-2006, 08:38 AM
I agree with h0ughy comments. I either have a C11 mounted on mine or when travelling an ED80 and ProMak180 side by side.

I havent really seen an argument that would convince me to change mounts, and all the Sydney retailers I have dealt with (Andrews,Bintel and MyAstroShop) now sell them, so the pricing and support has become quite competative.

Dave47tuc
28-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi Doug,
My personal opinion is that the mount will struggle with large tubes like 10” newts or SCT’s bigger than 10”
But since I got the V3 controller now loaded with V3.10 it does seem to work very well.
I do not have a big load on mine but the mount tracks very well and “Go To” is very good with polar alignment.
But this is very dependable on which stars a chosen as alignment Stars.
I have ran the mount of Cartes du Ciel and The Sky 5 and it works great.
Up at Snake Valley the first night out it did not miss a beat all night.
I could “Go To” from Acrux to Saturn at 180x and it was spot on. :thumbsup:
I have just started to do some imaging and the mount is not my problem so far.:rolleyes:
So for the money you pay for one of these it seems very good value.
Good luck with it.:)

h0ughy
28-11-2006, 10:16 AM
I do Agree Dave but with one proviso, the mount has to be balanced well with a tad little more on the lower weights so that the mount has the gears in contact at all times. In windy conditions I wouldn't recommend using the 12" but in an observatory or in good conditions:thumbsup: :whistle:

allan gould
28-11-2006, 04:20 PM
EQ6 would be able to handle heavier loads than my HEQ5 Pro, but as far as guiding goes the mounts have low and very smooth PE. Last session I did, guidemaster reported my PE as +/- 2arc sec. Now lets see that with a Meade mount

sejanus
28-11-2006, 04:24 PM
I haven't imaged with mine yet but with a celestron 11" SCT on it is is still nice and solid and gives a steady view in my fairly wind sheltered backyard.

Doug
28-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Stephen, initially an ED 80, but later who knows? It could be anything within the load limits, and since I'm interested in DSO imaging, it would be a shortish OTA. No 150mm f20 for me.

Doug
28-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Sorry mike I was thinking of my Meade.:rofl:

Doug
28-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for your reply hOughy, I guess with having 2, that says a lot.
I realise alignment is critical, my trusty rusty Meade has tracked for 20 mins once:eyepop: .....then it remembered it was a Meade and has never forgotten since.:sadeyes:

Doug
28-11-2006, 07:56 PM
G'day Dave,
I' better make sure I get the v3 controller, 2 votes out of 2 so far. I'm starting to to think more favourably of bying one. Question is where to buy?
I take a dim view of retailers who say they will Email a supplier for info and never get back to me. Don W**** are you listening?:poke:

Doug
28-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Alan was that before or after PEC training?
Did you mean the actual guide corrections?

Doug

h0ughy
28-11-2006, 08:23 PM
But they all have to do that there is only one supplier. try steve, Don or whoever, but shop around, somewhere someone has a very good special price, why heck , say I sent you and they will charge double:poke: :rofl:

Dave47tuc
28-11-2006, 08:25 PM
All new mounts will or SHOULD have the new V3 handcontroller.
Where to buy is up to you. If I was to buy again I would go to ? you will have to pm me for that answer and why.:poke:
Good luck with it all.:thumbsup:

beren
28-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Wow very impressive :) ....with those kind of PE figures you could humble any mount out there let alone a humble "Meade mount"

allan gould
30-11-2006, 04:43 PM
That was using Guidemaster and NO PEC correction initiated

Nuri
04-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare tracking accuracy of the EQ6 with the new white EQ6 Pro?

Allan, is yours an EQ6 Pro?

allan gould
05-12-2006, 10:07 AM
No - my mount is an HEQ5-Pro. Been delighted with it since day one.

JohnH
05-12-2006, 10:18 AM
!!!!! This mount is generally quoted at +- 20-30 arc secs PE. Is that result with guiding on?

...later...

Oops sorry just read a later post. Was guided of course...

Nuri
05-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Check out this (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4552&page=2)thread (post #44 onwards) about EQ6 and EQ6 Pro PEC comparison based on info before the EQ6 Pro was available. I'm still curious if anyone has measured the PEC on the EQ6 Pro...

h0ughy
05-12-2006, 12:57 PM
when I first got mine I took this , no guiding or PEC involved, http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5652&d=1130457808

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=59292&postcount=59