PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade LX 90 or LX 200 12 inch

JDMAstro
13-01-2017, 05:34 PM
I've discovered aperture fever and am upgrading from an 8 inch to a 12 inch. I've read many reviews of the LX 90 in a 12 inch version - some say it's fine others that it's underdone. I only intend to use for visual not imaging.

Any thoughts?

casstony
14-01-2017, 11:25 AM
I'd recommend that you choose between a 10" LX90 and a 12" Dob. The 12" fork mounted Meade is really heavy to shift around.

Atmos
14-01-2017, 12:45 PM
In the 12" I'd definitely go to LX200 as it is beefier but as Tony mentions, it's heavy. I had an 8" and 10" LX200 in the past, the 8" I could easily pick up one handed, the 10" I could manage and although I've never seen the 12" version I know I wouldn't be dealing with it on my own.

wayne anderson
14-01-2017, 05:13 PM
If you have definitely decided to go with a SCT type of scope the Meade LX90 or LX200,* the LX200 may be the better choice.(depending on your budget and future requirements)

I have the older (cheaper) 12inch LX200GPS the optics are very good for visual and ok for photography(provided you use a field flattener/reducer). The newer ACF optics are much better for both visual and photography.

The LX200 has a much more stable mount than the LX90 which allows you the option later to get into photography, but the 12inch has a long focal length even with a focal reducer and requires a bit of work and money for a beginner at imaging to be able to get the required equipment, set it up and image well.

The LX200 is heavier than the LX90, if your young and strong no problem to lift but after a while it gets to you, i currently have mine now on wheels already setup and locked away under cover in the garage it is very easy to push out into the viewing area.

If you definitely want a scope for visual viewing only and your budget allows (for visual aperture & quality rules)*a large goto Dobsonian may be better suited,

12inch Meade LX200ACF is around $10,000 new from bintel

12inch Meade LX90ACF is around $5,800 new from andrews

16inch skywatcher goto Dob is around $4,200 new from bintel (Leaving you $$$ for a set of premuim eyepieces,etc )

20inch skywatcher goto Dob is around $9,500 new from andrews (compared to lx200 leaving you $$$ for a premium eyepiece)

The difference between 12inch and 16inch is very noticeable especially when viewing Galaxies and in the 20 inch scope the view is amazing compared to a 12inch scope but some large Dobs can take some effort to setup to use, some need ladders to get to the eyepiece.

All being said i have found the well cared for cheap second hand 12inch LX200GPS to be a good all-rounder, easy to setup, easy to use, great optics,great views, good for photography, if my budget was much much larger i would have a minimum of 2 scopes a large 16 to 20 inch or more goto dob for visual with premium eyepieces and medium to large imaging 12inch newt or 4 to 6 inch apo on a great mount and a great camera for photography.

Hope this helps, Wayne.

JDMAstro
14-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Wayne

Thanks very much for the very insightful counsel.

JDM

Brettstar
25-02-2017, 04:21 PM
A larger collapsible Goto DOB would be more beneficial then a lx90 if is for visual

bigjoe
25-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Hi buddy.
Ive had a lot of different scopes sizes, but all round the 10" Meade ota be it on a lx90 / 1x200 mount has outstanding optics due to its smaller central obstruction than normal , compared to say a c9 by celestron, which is sharp itself . Also it has a larger than stated primary and excellent baffling, which can be flocked even, and has big aperture to resolve globulars , see spiral detail in M83 etc, from even the city meridians.
If none , or short exposure AP, then get the lx90 10"- its more than enough for anyone! Otherwise get the ota and put it on an eq mount.
The trick is to check collimation and let these big babies COOL DOWN FOR AN HOUR AT LEAST!
PS: Its not too heavy to lug around compared to the12" a beast!
bigjoe

bigjoe
25-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Totally agree casstony!
bigjoe.

Merlin66
25-02-2017, 05:36 PM
I've had and used all the Meade SCT's from the 8" through the 10" (including the f7 version) as well as the 12".
The Lx200 mount is far far better than the Lx90!
As other have said the 12" is BIG and HEAVY!!
Otherwise a great scope....
The 12" OTA was tooooo heavy to relocate onto a reasonable cost EQ mount (needed more space behind the rear cell) so sold and bought a much (much!)
lighter C11.
Never looked back.
Just my 2c
(My favourite semi-portable was the 10" ;-) )