PDA

View Full Version here: : New mounting plate for my 9.25

matt
25-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Guys

I'm looking to replace that fairly thin and flexible orange mounting plate (CG5 I think?) which came with my 9.25 at time of purchase.

Any recommendations?

I'm looking for something which will still let me mount the OTA atop my EQ6.... but will also work with a GM-11 or other mounts should I decide to upgrade in the future.

Many thanks for all and any replies:)

Dennis
25-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Hi Matt

As my OTA is the CF version, it came with the wider (orange) dovetail rail that fits the Losmandy dovetail saddle. I purchased the WO dovetail saddle which fits on the Tak EM200 via x2 8mm bolts. Can you fit a different mounting saddle to the EQ6? Or is it only meant for the narrower GP/CG5 type dovetail?

This is one area you don't want to scrimp on, as you'll no doubt be adding a guide scope, guide rings, cameras, etc which all add to the weight and hence require a solid mounting interface.

Cheers

Dennis

matt
25-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks Dennis

Not sure about whether I can fit a different saddle to the EQ6? I don't see why not. There appear to be screws/fixtures for removing the saddle.

Maybe other owners can chime in here?

I just measured the saddle that comes as standard and it has an opening width of 43mm or 1 22/32 inches.

It's a bit wider where the dovetail sits flush to the saddle.That measures 46mm (or about 1 28/32 inches).

Cheers

beren
25-11-2006, 05:21 PM
You can find some options here Matt

http://www.kendauzat.net/other.htm

matt
25-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks Stu

I'll check it out:thumbsup:

Dennis
25-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi Matt

From the link that Stu provided, this looks like what you are after. Fitting a Losmandy style dovetail rail to your C9.25 OTA will make that side of things more rigid, but you will still be limited to the more feeble GP/CG5 clamping bolt, compared to the WO and Losmandy Saddles. However, you could drill and tap another hole in the EQ6 head for another locking bolt, just to tighten things up and provide additional security against slippage.

Cheers

Dennis

matt
25-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks Dennis

Wouldn't it be great if I can find a replacement saddle for the EQ6 though?

Maybe someone will still join in on this thread with some info.

That'd be the best option: better saddle and more rigid/substantial mounting plate:thumbsup:

There's just too much vibration in my scope when I perform small slews using my synscan hand control and when I manually focus

gbeal
27-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Can you attach the rail directly, and then run a set of "tube rings"?
Or alternatively, firmly screw a D series Losmandy saddle to the top of the EQ6, then use the Losmandy rails, they are almost universal. I make all mine, and the saddles, well, get them made.

matt
27-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Will look into it Gary. Thanks.

Think I'll place a call to Don at Bintel.

Who sells the Lomandy gear here in Oz??????

This upgrading and improving lark... it never ends!:lol: