PDA

View Full Version here: : The Sky X and TPOINT opinions

issdaol
07-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Hi All,

I have recently been considering running The Sky X and TPOINT for my permanent setup.

Those would be the only modules I need as all I am looking for is to drive the EM400 mount for visual GOTO and tracking purposes only.

It seems that SB does not offer an evaluation period for the software so looking for opinions from users on how good they think this software is and how it might compare to other Software options like STarry Night Pro or Sky Safari Pro for Mac

Platform will be a MacBook Pro

Thanks in advance :-)

Atmos
07-01-2017, 05:59 PM
I use TSX and T-Point a lot for my imaging but not sure if I would for purely visual. T-Point helps if you're Polar Alignment is off and you want it to correct for that OR if you want to use it do get an accurate polar alignment; you got a PoleMaster for that purpose already correct?

If you want near perfect centring every slew then TSX and T-Point will do the job very well. If you just want a planetarium (I love TSX as a planetarium btw) then something free or considerably cheaper may be all you need. I've only ever used TSX and MaximDL (not overly intuitive planetarium) so I cannot help much more there I'm afraid.

issdaol
07-01-2017, 07:05 PM
Hi Colin,

PoleMaster has done very well to get a very good polar alignment......however I believe that I may have a fraction cone error since I moved to the dovetail&saddle configuartion over taks mounting plate.

Supposedly TPOINT is would be good for compensating for that ??

The only other function would be to use it as a full featured planetarium so I'm wondering how complete and easy it is to use from that perspective compared to others (setting aside any consideration on cost)

Also integration of TPOINT into the core software

Atmos
07-01-2017, 08:24 PM
T-Point will do a very good job at fixing all kinds of errors whether it be cone error or PA misalignment. A quick 25 point model will give you maybe a 5-20" RMS over the sky.

It really isn't a cheap way but it will probably be one of the better ones (cost aside). As a planetarium I would say (personal opinion) that TSX is up there with the best.

g__day
09-01-2017, 12:29 AM
I must say that TSX with Tpoint and Camera control (and dome for me) gives you closed loop slewing (CLS) which is a real boon! Select any target - say CLS and it will go to target, image, plate solve, correct pointing error, image again, plate solve - and that's generally it - you have nailed it.

Very time saving and satisfying if your pointing model or gotos are occassionally a tad off as the seasons roll on!

gregbradley
13-01-2017, 11:00 AM
I don't think you need TPoint for GoTo's unless your PA is off.
It would help but so would more accurate PA. T Point gets the best PA I have been able to achieve and it does it quickly once setup.

Its more of an imaging tool though.

Greg.

Slawomir
13-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Hi Phil,

Can you drive your mount with CdC (it's free and apparently works on Mac OS X)?

issdaol
15-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone......

Had a good chat about this the other day and sounds like TSX and TPOINT will do exactly what I want along with another couple of nifty features that will be handy to have.

Thanks Col :-)

Atmos
15-01-2017, 10:18 AM
If you're not in a rush you can always test it out first in a few weeks, I'll bring along my spare laptop for you to play with :)