PDA

View Full Version here: : Windows 10 Updating and Restarting Issues

leon
07-01-2017, 08:59 AM
OK, sorry, just another computer question please.

Alice has a new Lap Top with win 10 on it and it performs very well and she is happy with it, but why dose it take so long to install any update, :shrug:and make sure one doesn't do a restart, that takes even longer.:rolleyes:

As we speak it is updating, it has been there for one hour and is only at 50%, this is just stupid.:mad2:

A couple of days ago i installed a program that needed a re start, it was at it for well over a hour, so i just turned it off, never seen anything like it.

Is there a fix for this maybe :shrug:

Thank You.

Leon :thumbsup:

Nikolas
07-01-2017, 10:36 PM
get rid of win 10 as the forced updates are why I never ungraded from win 7

RAJAH235
08-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Hi Leon,
As I do NOT use WIN 10, I can only advise you to go to their forum & you may find an answer there.....but don't count on it.

WIN 10 is a dog.

ref; > https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/?

Here are a few responses to a similar question.
ref; > https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=updates+slow&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

Good luck.

w0mbat
09-01-2017, 08:35 AM
I do not know the answer Leon but I can tell you that is not normal. I have four laptops in the house running Win 10 and none of them behave like that, even the very slow netbook. I am one of those who thinks that Win 10 works very well. I don't understand those who still have issues with the updates especially as you can now tell Win 10 when NOT to install them.
I would not be surprised to find your new laptop is actually faulty in some way. If it is new I would take it back and complain.
Ian

Slawomir
09-01-2017, 01:27 PM
I have a $300 1y.o. laptop from Officeworks running Win10, and nowadays rare updates take max 10minutes.

leon
09-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Thank you indeed for your responses, and buy the way the update it was doing whilst i wrote this thread has completely changed the way Alice has to access any programs,
It is quite annoying that when everything is working fine some one wants to fix something that is not broken.

Leon

rustigsmed
10-01-2017, 01:23 PM
hi leon,
since the anniversary update, if you use a metered connection - it does not update even if you select update. I have spent 7 hrs with Microsoft over the past week. what it did do was cause my cpu to be at 30-35% idling because it was stuck in some weird loop (overclocked i5).
if you have it on metered - turn it off metred, restart and let it do the updates overnight. then afterwards turn metered back on, and then do this once a month or so to keep on top of it. another thing after it updated I discovered they made it harder to find metered to turn it on or off. great update.

if you haven't got metered selected you may be better off going back to an old version. I wish I never "upgraded" to win10.

good luck

leon
10-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Thanks Russell, i would really love to go back to say, win 8.1, that one really works well for us, I don't a have any issues with it at the moment.

So is it as simple as purchasing a copy and installing , or are there some hidden stuff that i should be aware of.

Leon

rustigsmed
10-01-2017, 02:52 PM
if you are already using it, did it come with a computer already installed or do have the disks still? if you have the cds then you can install it up to 2 or 3 machines - from memory.

otherwise I searched on pcpartpicker for Australia and this store was the only one that popped up with win 8.1 in stock http://www.skycomp.com.au/microsoftwindows8-164bitoperatingsystem.html (note: I am unfamiliar with this store).

same thing again, once installed turn off automatic updates. win 8.1 actually does what you tell it to do unlike 10.

leon
10-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Russell, I use it on my desk top, and it is really good, no issues to date, however my wife Alice just received a new laptop for Christmas and it came with win 10 already installed.
I have the 8.1 disc and was wondering if i could install that on her machine, or would i have to purchase a new copy ??

Thanks Leon