PDA

View Full Version here: : Astronomy/Science Podcast Suggestions

CapturingTheNight
05-01-2017, 01:24 PM
Hello all,

Looking for some suggestions for good Astronomy based or General Science/Skepticism based Podcasts. I already subscribe to a number of podcasts (it is about all I listen to when I'm in the car these days) but I'm always on the lookout for more. What I already listen to in no particular order:
- Astronomy Cast
- Weekly Space Hangout
- Space Time (Formally Star Stuff)
- Star Talk
- Skeptics Guide to the Universe
- Dr Karl Science Hour
- The Infinite Monkey Cage
- Skeptoid
- Conversations with Richard Fidler (not really science but love it)

Cheers

Greg

traveller
05-01-2017, 02:52 PM
Dr Karl has a new pod cast called shirt loads of science, which is quite good.
There was one segment recently on the Kepler mission.
Bo

Tinderboxsky
05-01-2017, 03:35 PM
If you "love" Richard Fidler, have you tried Margaret Throsby's conversations that were on ABC Classic FM at midday? Similar high standard with wide range of interesting guests and topics. Margaret has just finished up the conversation and is moving onto other projects. There are twenty five years worth of back conversations to explore.

Steve

DJT
05-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Try the JodCast and The Naked Astronomer. Jodcast has about 10 years worth of stuff for you to catchup on.

Thanks for the list though, was looking for more myself

CapturingTheNight
08-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Thank you so much for the suggestions guys. Will certainly be checking them out. I had heard about the new Dr Karl one but then promptly forgot to subscribe to it, so I will be doing that straight away.....

sil
09-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Recently got fed up with monkey cage and am enjoying the Nature podcasts for broader science topics. Nature also have a few other targetted podcasts, not really astro related though.

tempestwizz
10-01-2017, 01:49 PM
I presume you are aware of the Astronomy 161 and 162 by Richard Pogge from Ohio State University? These are two series of uni lectures with little or no math. One concentrates on the solar system and the other looks at deeper space. About 30 or so lectures in each lasting about 45 minutes per lecture. Quite good info at uni undergrad level.
Search for Astronomy 161 or Astronomy 162. , or Richard Pogge, or Ohio State in podcasts to locate.

MichaelSW
23-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Greg,

G'day.

Gresham College, London puts on public lectures on many topics for people to attend, watch on the www. or download. Home page is at https://www.gresham.ac.uk

There is link to All Past Lectures. Select the category you want. Lots of astronomy topics amongst the science lectures. The previous Gresham Professor of Astronomy, Caroline CRAWFORD really appealed to me - easy to listen to and topics presented for the public to understand. My favourite was her 2012 lecture on Atmospheric Phenomena.

Cheers.

Bendy
24-01-2017, 12:56 AM
Hi Greg

Spacenuts is a reasonably new Australian space podcast - it's actually the sister podcast of Space Time as I understand it. Both are very good.

Regards

Ben

CapturingTheNight
24-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will certainly be checking them out.