PDA

View Full Version here: : Software to preview lots of FITS files

luka
02-01-2017, 06:57 PM
Hi

I am in progress of moving from a DSLR to a CCD (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=146493) and now the saved files are in FITS format instead of the RAW. This is not an issue for any of the processing programs of course.

What I am looking for is software to quickly go through lots of FITS files to delete any with obvious guiding issues, clouds etc. I found several FITS viewers but all operate on single image with main function being the image processing. I need something where I can simply view images and go to next file with a button or key press and simple zoom functionality.

Thanks in advance
Luka

peter_4059
02-01-2017, 08:18 PM
Do you have Pixinsight? It has a blink option. CCDstack also has this.

luka
02-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Thank you Peter.

Unfortunately I don't have PixInsight. Somehow I knew that would be one of the answers :)

peter_4059
02-01-2017, 10:40 PM
No problem but since you are contemplating ccd astrophotography perhaps now is the time to take the PI plunge!

glend
02-01-2017, 10:55 PM
SGP, has many imaging control functions, but there is also a FITS Grader that does what you want. You can also open any FITS image as a stretched preview in SGP, in fact it will do that as the files are captured, or open a file at any time to review, it is very cost effective compared to many apps.

I do not like PI for many reasons, and it is certainly not the easiest path for beginners in the dedicated astro camera move. The combo of SGP, DSS and Photoshop work well for me.

peter_4059
02-01-2017, 11:50 PM
I don't think the SGP FITS Image Grader does the same thing as blink in CCDStack or PI. It is similar to the PI Subframe Selector tool. It is true you can open FITS images in SGP but I haven't come across a way to blink them in SGP other than to select each one in turn.

RAJAH235
03-01-2017, 02:25 AM
I've never actually had a use for this program, but try...
Subaru Image Processor = Makali'i
> https://makalii.mtk.nao.ac.jp/
Might suit.
It's free as well.