PDA

View Full Version here: : Introduction

LaughingBeagles
26-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Hi All,

A quick note to introduce myself. My wife and I just received a Celestron SLT 130 Telescope for Christmas. Had it up and running last night and loved it.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Pete and Lin

JA
26-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Hello P & L,

Welcome to the forum, join in on discussion and enjoy your time here.

Best
JA

Allan_L
27-12-2016, 07:36 AM
Hi Pete and Lin,
Welcome to IceInSpace :welcome:

Congratulations on your astronomical chrissy present.
Enjoy your journey, and feel free to ask lots of questions.

Clear Skies!

LaughingBeagles
27-12-2016, 09:38 AM
Thanks JA and Allan, much appreciated.

Wouldn't you know it, cloudy, windy night last night so no venturing out to gaze for us! :)

ZeroID
27-12-2016, 12:30 PM
Hi & :welcome: P & L ( that's going to stick you know :D )
As others have already said ask questions and enjoy the journey.

If you haven't already I suggest you download Stellarium ( www.stellarium.org (http://www.stellarium.org) ) and set it up for your own location. Gives you something to do when it's cloudy and is an excellent introduction to what is out there.

Cheers
Brent

LaughingBeagles
29-12-2016, 12:11 AM
Thanks Brent and will do. P & L sounds kind of cruisie.... :lol:

Kunama
29-12-2016, 07:43 AM
Hello and welcome Lin and Peter, my son had the same scope and enjoyed it very much.

Clear skies, Matt

LaughingBeagles
29-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Thanks Matt. I am so glad to hear that. I have been googling, searching and reading on how to get the best from the 130.

The main issue for me is that with the 25mm (out of the box setup) Venus is a just a bright dot in the scope (a large bright dot with the 9mm).

The more I read, the more I discover Lin and I have to practice patience, perseverance and patience... Oh, did I say patience? :)

I think too that one of my main issues is not waiting long enough after the sun goes down to for the star scape. I live 500m from the Ocean here in Western Australia and suffer the same light pollution as everyone else in the Urbs.

The Stargazers Club of WA is having a get together viewing on 2 Jan so we are hoping to get some insight as to what's what.

I suspect too that my collimation might be out but not sure if that would result in any significant changes to viewing 'obvious' objects like venus.

Pete

ZeroID
29-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Bright Dot, hmm, yes, that's Venus. Not much to see as it's covered in clouds. A Neutral Density filter might reduce brightness and you may be able to see a crescent shape like the moon if it's in the right position.
Mars is still up in the evening later on, a reddish dot, norwestern sky. Stellarium will show you where, it's just to the right and a bit higher than Venus..
No idea what your horizon limits are or where the CBD light glow is but Orion is rising now in the Nor East and there is heaps to see there. M42 would be just visible as a grey smudge in the Sword even in binoculars. Just exploring that region will keep you busy.
Then in the Sth East Eta Carina, NGC 3372 is on the rise, another scope visible nebula. Lots of small clusters and asterisms around there, Southern Pleiades. And high hunt for 47 Tucanae, the big globular cluster, a stunner to see and easy in a scope.

That lot will keep you busy for a while ...

sharptrack2
29-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Hi Pete and Lin,

:welcome:

I started with a much older Celestron 130 Newtonian on just an equatorial mount. Ignoring the learning curve of operating the mount, learning about how the telescope works was the best thing I could have done. :2thumbs:

If Celestron hasn't changed their 130 design over the years, your collimation is undoubtedly off. You can make a quick check one night on a semi-bright star, Aldebaran, Canopus, etc. De-focus the scope a bit in either direction and look at the Airy pattern. Refer to the following resource for what it should look like... http://www.astrophoto.fr/collim.html

Another good resource is... http://garyseronik.com/no-tools-telescope-collimation/#more-238

:sad:Unfortunately Astrobaby's website looks to be down so her collimation routine isn't available :shrug:, but check the IIS "Projects and Articles" section for lots of information, particularly this collimation routine... http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-390-0-0-1-0.html

Another bit of hard earned wisdom is let your telescope cool down as much as possible. If the mirror is warm from the daytime, it will cause air currents inside for quite a long time after you set it up. The cooler you can keep it the better, these air currents, along with the atmospheric affects will make looking at an Airy disk very difficult as it will bounce around and distort constantly.

And finally, any adjustments you might want to make... keep them VERY small. It doesn't take much to move the mirrors, and you can easily go past optimum position. :doh:

Most of all, don't let any of this technical stuff get you down or frustrated. It will become second nature in no time at all. Have fun learning where things are and finding them in the sky. Venus and Mars will always be a little disappointing until you can see them through a longer focal length scope (and bigger aperture!!) Jupiter and Saturn will be up at a decent hour for viewing in a couple of months, your scope will show them off nicely with the 9mm EP. As mentioned, Orion (M42) and Carina Nebula (NGC 3372 or C92) are great to look at with what you have. The 25mm EP will give the best field of view, but switch the 9mm if you want to look into the structures of the nebulae. This will be a great stepping stone for your journey into the universe. :thumbsup:

LaughingBeagles
29-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Thanks Kev, sounds promising. :)

Thanks Brent.

Really appreciate just how helpful folks are. Will keep at it! :)

brian nordstrom
29-12-2016, 05:28 PM
:welcome: from me as well ,
I know a few people over the years with the 130mm Celestron scope like yours and as people have already said these are a very good scope to start out with as they will teach you the basics you need and perform excellently optically .
Brian.

LaughingBeagles
29-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Thanks Brian.

LaughingBeagles
30-12-2016, 12:39 AM
Tonight, we managed to look at the Orion Nebula. Some may chuckle when I say that it was a jaw dropping experience that left me doing a jig and laughing like a lilttle lad (I'm 50...). I stared at it for ages and the more I looked, the more I saw.

Just so amazing!!'

kens
30-12-2016, 06:23 AM
Orion Nebula or M42 is a wonderful sight. First chance you get, have a look at 47 Tucanae or Omega Centauri.