PDA

View Full Version here: : First Post

Orionskies
22-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Hi all,

Happy to join I've learned a lot from reading within these forums so thanks.

I've just restarted getting into astronomy for the third time, hope it will last this time. I'm the proud owner of a Tasco Luminova..... yes I really just typed that. Although it was responsible for me quitting the second time. I've been assured by Santa Little Elves that I'll be getting some Flossel eyepieces for Xmas. So hopefully this will sustain my interest for a little while yet.

Merry Xmas

Orionskies

JA
23-12-2016, 12:31 AM
Hello Julian

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your time here.

Best
JA

Ric
23-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Welcome Julian

Hope you have a great time here.

Cheers

Ryderscope
23-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Welcome Julian. You will find Ice in Space a great place to learn and share your experiences.

AEAJR
30-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Julian,

Did Santa come through with your new eyepieces? Do they make a difference?

Orionskies
31-12-2016, 05:34 AM
Hello all and thanks for the welcomes,

And thanks AEAJR for asking, Santa did visit :). After a few cloudy nights I managed to give the new eye pieces a test run. The eyepieces did improve viewing for the Tasco making it much more pleasant. I could make out Venus half-cresent and I managed to view Jupiter's stripes as well! :D Obviously the telescopes mount is still a pain in the neck, but Santas magic has done it's trick. So much so that I bought a Dob 8 tonight as an early birthday gift to myself!

So cloudy nights for all!!:P

Julian.

AEAJR
07-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Congratulations on the Dob. I look forward to reading your reports.

Orionskies
07-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Thanks AEAJR.

Scorpius51
07-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Welcome Julian!

A very good choice for a replacement for the Tasco. An 8" Dob is a beaut 'scope at any level. Light, portable & very easy to setup and use.

Enjoy!

Cheers
John

Orionskies
07-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Thank you, John.

I've had a few test runs of the Dob and what a difference! In comparison to the Tasco it makes life a lot easier and more fun, looking forward to more observations!

I haven't given up totally on the Tasco either it's a challenge trying to set the mount to the celestial pole and also to attempt to find targets with the degrees and minutes.

Julian :)