PDA

View Full Version here: : [Aldi] Nat Geo Solar Scope

Malcolm
06-12-2016, 07:16 AM
Link: https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-10-december/saturday-detail-wk49/ps/p/solar-telescope/?pk_campaign=au_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2016-12-05_10-09

Sat 10 Dec $99.00 Not too much info available, I'd guess at this price it is a white light filter.

Also small table-top dob $69.99
Link: https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-10-december/saturday-detail-wk49/ps/p/compact-telescope/?pk_campaign=au_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2016-12-05_10-09

brianholbrook
06-12-2016, 01:28 PM
I had a look at the table top scope last time they were on sale through Aldi, i imagine a few people had played with it but it felt quite loose and didn't fill me with confidence that viewing would be stable enough. Maybe it just needed a little adjusting?

traveller
06-12-2016, 02:04 PM
I hope they have VERY CLEAR instructions on their "solar" scope, which is nothing more than a reflector with a solar filter (film or glass, but I guess film at this price).
Would hate to see kids/unknowing adults being made blind after a Xmas party (and maybe a few drinks)
Bo

brian nordstrom
06-12-2016, 02:27 PM
:confused2: You are spot on there Bo , this is a very dangerous advertisement !!!! .
I will contacy ALDI and explain to them the dangers involved in solar observing , I can see people getting blinded by this ill conceved advertisement .
Stupidity at it best !!. :mad2:.

Brian.

brian nordstrom
06-12-2016, 02:49 PM
:thumbsup: Just spoken to ALDI's buying department and they are going to either pull this product and advert , or rename it as a telescope only .

They were quite shocked when I explained the dangers here and they even opened IIS and seen the thread that Malcolm started , well done mate that was a good pick up . :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Brian.

traveller
06-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Good on you Brian! :thumbsup:
Glad Aldi will fix it too.
Bo

OICURMT
06-12-2016, 04:08 PM
Doesn't state what type of solar filter... if it's the old eyepiece solar filter then HOLY .... if it's a full aperture filter (mylar or glass) then... maybe ok, depending on the manufacturer.

OIC!

sil
06-12-2016, 04:09 PM
looks to be a rebadged celestron first scope. the eyepieces are complete garbage but with a better eyepiece the scope can give good views for its size as a tabletop dob. I actually concerted mine to awhite filter solar scope as i have an orion 100mm tabletop dob which is MUCH better for visual. as it stands i can see a new batch of disappointed stargazers being turned away from astronomy by this product as it stands

Malcolm
06-12-2016, 06:03 PM
An interesting turn of events. I was quite curious myself regarding the quality of the solar filter, and given that the filter can be removed, it is not really a solar scope is it? To me, a solar scope has a H-Alpha filter and is solely used for that purpose, therefore quite expensive as well. As has been stated, the potential for permanent eye damage certainly exists with this product. If the filter is mylar, and given the price one would have to think so, if it were to sustain minor damage, such as a pin-hole, and then was to be used.....end of story.

brian nordstrom
07-12-2016, 12:43 AM
:confused2::confused2: I hear you .:thumbsup: Hit the nail on the head here Malcolm , how many average families would realise that without the 'Filter ? ' what ever this means , its just a night time or maybe terrestial telescope ,,,:shrug: man thats scary and if this advert is still there in the morning I will take this to the next level , got your ears on ALDI ?.
Pull it NOW !

You know who I am .

And Sil :confused2: I hear you , hobby killers of the highest order :sadeyes:

Brian.

Malcolm
07-12-2016, 06:22 AM
The item would have to be pulled from sale, given that it would be in the catalogue and there's no changing that. The web ad is still up, and in Aldi's defence, it does say * Suitable for sun observation with solar filter.
Exactly what type of solar filter is unknown. A lady friend said this is awesome, I'm going to get one. My response was please don't. Add another $100 and look for a second hand 6"dobsonian, far more stable and better views, and a re-sale value if you decide the hobby is not for you.

traveller
07-12-2016, 10:49 AM
I have lodged a complaint with the ACCC
https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/contact-the-accc/report-a-consumer-issue
Maybe others can do the same?
Bo

Merlin66
07-12-2016, 11:32 AM
My contribution.....
I visited the local ALDI store (Drysdale, Vic) and found the manager (Darcy).
I explained our concerns and said that they should refrain from selling these "Solar Telescopes" until a full safety assessment is done.
I said that I would prefer not to see him on the 6:30 program trying to explain how he'd sold a solar telescope to a child who ended up with eye damage.
The telescope had not arrived in the store (Saturday Sale) so I couldn't inspect......
He thanked me then said "If Head Office tell me to sell them - I'll sell them"
I said I'd be back to inspect the solar telescopes first thing Saturday and if necessary set up a picket line at the store!!!!!

Malcolm
07-12-2016, 05:08 PM
As of 5pm 7/12/16 the ad is still live.

traveller
07-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Yep, my Facebook post has been shared 76 times already, so thanks people who helped out including members on this forum.
I have also contacted some media outlets to let them know.
Aldi got back to me with a pat on head saying they have warning labels on these scopes.
Bo

sil
08-12-2016, 10:25 AM
welcome to the world of health and safety procedures backed up by legislation. I have fought a losing battle at work (a gov dept) against procedures that don't actually work in practice for the public safety but protect the perpetrators from prosection instead. the fact is once in place complaints can't go far and you cant take them to court so its easy to prove that they work. has nothing to do with preventing physical harm. hell in the eyes of our government I am not disabled enough to receive any form of assistance. if you want to really see a change you contact the media instead.

barx1963
08-12-2016, 04:11 PM
I sent in an ACCC complaint. The text of it was:

"Aldi are advertising a "Solar Telescope". As a member of the amateur astronomy community and an experienced solar observer, I feel this item should not be advertised as a solar viewing instrument. With this price point of under $100 it could easily end up as a Christmas present in the hands of a child and if used incorrectly could result in severe eye damage including blindness. An obvious example is if 2 children were using the scope and one removed the filter while the other is looking at the sun, the result could be tragic.
I have contacted Aldi and their response was " Instructions for use and warnings are included with the product and the packaging or the telescope shows that the solar filter has been tested and approved." which in my view is entirely inadequate when selling a product targeted at this price bracket. The advertisement is on line here https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-10-december/saturday-detail-wk49/ps/p/solar-telescope/?pk_campaign=au_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2016-12-05_10-09
I believe this will go on sale on Saturday so urgent action is required."

Malcolm

The_bluester
08-12-2016, 06:19 PM
Good on you Malcolm, I emailed the ABC mornings program but I don't have opportunity to listen to it often and have no idea if they picket it up.

N1
09-12-2016, 07:20 AM
That is bound to convince them.