PDA

View Full Version here: : Crisis! ASV Star-Be-Que day at LMDSS

Stonius
03-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Can anyone please tell me the location of the LMDSS?

I'm wanting to go to their Star-Be-Que up at Heathcote, but they haven't published the address anywhere. I sent a booking email to the supplied email on Thursday, but haven't heard back.

From being a member many moons ago I know they guard the location pretty jealously for security reasons, but there needs to be a better way of doing things. I've booked a trailer for my gear so I can take the kids as well and it's looking like unless I hear in the next two hours that it will be money I've burned for nothing.

So as an outreach experience, I'd have to say, it's not looking good so far.

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks

Markus

dannat
03-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Pm

barx1963
05-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Markus
Did you manage to find it? It was a great night!

Malcolm

Stonius
05-12-2016, 02:24 PM
I did in the end. Had a great night! The kids did too. The highlight for me was seeing the horsehead nebula for the first time - I'm still buzzing about that. I'd tried before to no avail, but this time I was sure I was seeing it - later confirmed int he 25" Obsession. Really nice bunch of people and a great fun atmosphere too! And great facilities. Lots of knowledge. Thinking maybe I'll join up. :-)

Markus

The_bluester
05-12-2016, 06:09 PM
I have long thought that the carefully guarded secret of the LMDSS location is more than a little silly. After all the ASV have generally two public star parties yearly and they consequently have to tell members of the wider public about the sites location.

"We might strip you of your membership if you tell" is not much of a threat to a non member!

Edit: It is so secret that a google maps search shows where it is.

barx1963
05-12-2016, 06:35 PM
The location is easily accessible, the front page of the ASV website here http://asv.org.au/ has a paragraph about the event with the following text "For more information and all the nitty gritty, please check out the two page flier by clicking here." and the link takes you to the flyer which has easy directions to get there.

I did hear that Perry was unable to respond to any non members emails as his computer failed or something like that!

Malcolm