PDA

View Full Version here: : Aligning guide scope with imaging camera

DarkKnight
29-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Well I have finally sorted all the bits I need and I'm now thinking about putting it all together.

Barring a miracle I realise that the guide 'scope is nowhere near aligned with my imaging camera and thought the clever way would be to pre-align it in daylight then fine tune before imaging. I figure that this way I'm not faced with massive adjustments with a fiddly allen key in the dark.

What would be the easiest way to do this, assuming it's a good idea. Focus on a distant object and use the guide camera or maybe get a cheap eyepiece for my 50 x 200mm guide 'scope ?

Cimitar
29-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Hi Kev, I also have a small guidescope and I use an etched eyepiece (i.e. illuminated reticle without the light switched on) during the day to align. I point the main telescope at a distant object and then slowly bring the 200mm guidescope onto the target.

Using a guide camera during the day can be tricky, but at dusk you may have better luck depending on where you're pointing. I'm lucky in the sense that I have a mountain nearby with a tower on it. That tower has a solid red light that can be used for perfecting alignment at night. Almost like my very own artifical star :thumbsup:

Cheers, Evan

glend
29-11-2016, 08:00 PM
Most guide scopes have a fairly wide field of view. Assuming you have aligned your mount just aim the scope at Sirius and the star should be visible in both scopes. Centre it in the main camera and then adjust the guidescope to match centres. Done.

DarkKnight
29-11-2016, 11:01 PM
:thanx: for the info Evan and Glen.