PDA

View Full Version here: : Polar Alignment in Sharpcap V2.9

glend
27-11-2016, 06:09 PM
The ZWO cameras have a free copy of Sharpcap available via download from the ZWO product page. If you own any ZWO camera, that uses or can use Sharpcap, have a look at the new Polar Alignment function included in the new release:

http://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/polar-alignment

In Version 2.9 you can apparently polar align within Sharpcap, using plate solving - and it does not need an internet connection, something invaluable at a dark site.

Have a read of the briefing notes on the linked page. I have downloaded V2.9 but have not tested this new function yet, but it is an exciting development and addition.
Anyone using the Sharpcap polar alignment function, can you please give us some feedback?

peter_4059
27-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Yep works well but need fov of camera scope to be in a specific range for it to work. Anyone can download it for free from the sharpcap website. You don't need a zwo camera.

ChrisV
28-11-2016, 11:01 PM
Its good but need 2.5deg (I think) FOV for it to work

glend
29-11-2016, 01:47 AM
Well yes it works, i tried it tonight, however it appears to have a few issues that need addressing. Even though i ticked the Southern Hemisphere box the display indicated the NCP and the movement instructions appear to be backward.

SimmoW
29-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the alert, I tried it last night to amazing success! It's fantastic, took me 10 mins on the first attempt to halve my previous TSX guiding error to a settled .13 pixels. Normally I do 3 Tpoints that take 30 mins.

You need a clear view of the SCP. Plus of course an approx 2 degree fov that my little scope and cam combo has. But with a longer FL scope, I'd just use my ASI120. It needs a video capable cam.

I found the final knob turning process very responsive and, well, just damned easy.

Video below of my very first use of it, don't turn up the volume as you'll hear my horrible breathing in the cold air! And an even more important warning- Don't have the video playing in the background like me, while you are imaging! At one point in the video, I'm slewing....which just made me think that the mount was strangely slewing at this very minute, very disconcerting!

https://youtu.be/PMn-5RB57qg

glend
30-11-2016, 08:04 AM
Thanks Simon for the video. It brings up an issue not covered in the onscreen instructions but one i ran across on a CN thread about Sharpcap 2.9. Firstly you do not need to have your mount powered up to do the alignment, you can do the RA rotation by unlocking the clutch and rotating it manually, and allow Sharpcap to solve in the new position. Secondly, there is no reference in the instructions to what you do after the 90 degree solve - ie do you leave it there or put it back in parked position? In my reading it was suggested to tick the 'Auto Advance' box so that Sharpcap will progress when its happy with the previous step. Initially i tried to adjust from the 90 degree position but quickly realised this was a mistake (as i was chasing the RA mark), and returning to start position was where to do the final adjustments.
So i re-ran the alignment last night and have it almost perfect now, just a few seconds off, with the RA cross right on the CP marker, and the yellow line is now just a small bracket close to a nearby star. I have not had a chance to image from that position yet.:thumbsup:
Great enhancement, and one that will save a lot of time out at a dark site setting up. At home on my pier, i will recheck now and then, or perhaps when i change scopes and thus the load changes. I agree that as you use it, or get used to it, it becomes quick to complete - a few minutes i would judge.