PDA

View Full Version here: : Eyepiece suggestions needed

Frostyvegi
23-11-2016, 05:24 PM
Hi all,

Current gear comprises of:
Skywatcher Carbon Fibre Newtonian 10 inch (1000mm focal, F/4)
Skywatcher HEQ5 mount
Imaging with a Canon 450D

I am looking for eyepieces to go along with this scope for the times I want to just view, as well as if I feel inclined to do some EP projection. I have previously been using my sisters 1.25 inch eyepieces, which were, from memory, a couple of modified achromat (I think a 25mm and 10mm) and I think one Plössl which I think was around a 6mm. These were probably 15-20 years old (judging on the age of her 12 inch Dob). She also had a 2 inch barlow. I had good experience with using these very basic eyepieces, but now need to invest in my own as well as probably get some better quality ones to go along with my scope investment.

I’m interesting in both viewing and imaging all sorts of targets from the celestials to DSO’s, really need to try and cover off all bases, but I’m not experienced or particular enough to need a perfectly even, flat, coma and aberration free images (at this early stage). My budget is open but would prefer not to go nuts until I get more experience and perhaps more particular with my viewing desire. (basically want a cost effective jack of all trades kinda options with eyepieces)

I had been looking at getting 2 or 3 of the Baader Hyperions for the fact that they appear to be suited to EP Projection as well as modular to slot straight into the 2 inch focuser (although I am aware this changes the eyepiece focal length as well as reduced image quality), and the fact they are readily available in Australia (although with the online marketplaces, location shouldn't really be an issue) at a good price. Are there any other suggestions that I should be looking at, and I would also appreciate a good suggestion on a barlow (or alternative) to go along with.

Cheers in advance!

Kunama
23-11-2016, 06:10 PM
There are some beautiful Vixen LVWs in the classifieds here at the moment, very nice eyepieces that work equally well in 1.25" and 2" focusers. I felt they had an edge over the Hyperions I used. I used mine also in an F4 Newt (Vixen R200SS) and they performed well.

MortonH
23-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Hyperions will be rather horrible at f/4! They're best suited to slow scopes.

If you want good correction AND decent eye relief you need to go up market a bit. I second the suggestion of Vixen LVWs.

Definitely recommend buying used as you'll get most of your money back if you sell again later.

Frostyvegi
25-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Another forum I asked at suggested the Tele Vue's, although a bit more costly, of course.

The other thing is how does eyepiece projection astrophotography work with the LVW's? I note the Vixen eyepiece projection adaptor does not work with the LVW's.

Though some research though shows that you get similar results with using a mid power eyepiece that you get using a Barlow which is infinitely more easier to get/use. Question then extends to, which Barlow should I be looking at that's good for both the LVW's and 'prime focus' astrophotography with my DSLR?

Wavytone
25-11-2016, 06:34 PM
For that you will need either Vixen LV's or possibly old 1.25" plossls or similar that are barely bigger than the drawtube - these have a very narrow barrel.

Not aware of any other type that will fit.