PDA

View Full Version here: : Eq6-r

Clancy Lane
22-11-2016, 07:44 PM
Set up the new FSQ106N last night for an imaging run and also using the new EQ6-R.

Using the hand paddle, I did a 1 star alignment on Canopus then slewed to M45.

For the first time ever, even though M45 was on the other side of the sky, the object was centred in the field of view and imaging began without any corrections.

Beats the NEQ6 to pieces!

Love it!

clive milne
22-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Forgive my bluntness if you will, but that doesn't come across as a particularly difficult task... it's like centring a barn door in the cross hairs of a sling shot at five paces.

Clancy Lane
22-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Maybe for some-one with your experience Clive!:P

but for me...a huge improvement...and confirms that my upgrade from the NEQ6 was worthwhile!:D

BTW...I was issued with a 9mm Owen Machine Carbine during a little skirmish called SVN....and I really couldn't hit a barn door with it.

They gave me my 7.62mm SLR back.....wish I had it now!

cheers!

spiezzy
22-11-2016, 08:54 PM
Glad to hear your new mount is working great for you well done its always good when every thing works great and you hit the target straight up and you sound very happy with it and thats the main thing .
cheers Pete

Clancy Lane
22-11-2016, 09:05 PM
And,

I forgot to mention, the guiding was exceptional as well!

The intent of this post was as a mini review for any prospective purchasers.

cheers,

Phil

RobF
23-11-2016, 01:07 AM
Sounds like the new rig is living up to expectations so far Phil. Congrats!!!

Rob

Slawomir
23-11-2016, 07:39 AM
Congratulations Phil! It is a very nice feeling when mount performs as it should :thumbsup:

Clancy Lane
23-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Thanks Pete, Thanks Rob (And the FSQ106 is fantastic), Thanks Slawomir

cheers, Phil

:thumbsup:

Clancy Lane
23-11-2016, 10:52 AM
(I have modified this post to curb the political tones that offended)

Clive... I don't think it was bluntness, just rude!

There are many of us beginners out here who struggle nightly with our equipment.

You may be lucky and have gear that does what you require on a regular basis but some of us don't but we are trying!

cheers,

Phil

brian nordstrom
23-11-2016, 11:05 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: YEP ! I hear you .

Sounds like a great mount Clancy , any chance of a photo or 2 .

Brian.

Clancy Lane
23-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks Brian!

I have posted a pic on 'show us your eqpt' as well as here!

cheers mate!

clive milne
23-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Phil, unlike yourself, I did not attack you personally.

You are simply not being honest with yourself. You have used a statistically meaningless sample of 1 and a metric for comparison approaching an order of magnitude less than adequate to determine the difference in pointing accuracy one should expect to see compared to the NEQ6.

Sorry for bruising your ego.

Clancy Lane
23-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the brilliant reply!

cheers,

Phil

spiezzy
23-11-2016, 12:17 PM
That is a great looking rig you have there Phil is that a Garden Shed converted into a observatory ? very nice .
thanks for sharing your views on the NEQ6r :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Clancy Lane
23-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Yes Pete,

Masters had them on special for half price!

I have made the roof so it splits in half and opens out onto wooden struts...quick and effective with 360 degree views!

cheers,

Phil

JA
23-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Hi Guys,

Comebacks, hyperbole and "banter" aside, where all here to have fun and share our experiences..... Kiss/hug (or shake if you must)

Best
JA

spiezzy
23-11-2016, 12:29 PM
Thats Awesome well done what would you say are the big differences between the NEQ6 and the EQ6R ?
cheers Pete

Clancy Lane
23-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Your right of course!

But I just can't help myself when it comes to a good stouch!

The Yanks have a thing called "The Dozens" where you try and outdo each other with insults....neither side takes offence at what is said.

I do not take what others say personally but enjoy the 'to and fro' and a beer together afterwards.

Thanks for the insight!

cheers, Phil

Clancy Lane
23-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Pete,

Yep, let's get back to Astronomy!

I found quite a few improvements over the EQ6.....

Most important was the power connection, a huge improvement...the EQ6 would cut out at the worst time due to the flimsy connector;

The mounting plate connection is much more secure;

The Altitude bolts are more robust and easier to use;

Slewing is much quieter and more accurate.

My guiding software seems to work better with this mount.

The only negative I have found so far is the hand paddle is a bit slow to react after pushing a button...... but that really doesn't matter as I mostly use 'Starry Night Pro' with a wireless hand controller.

Thanks for your interest!

cheers, Phil

Kunama
23-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Nice to hear that the new mount is working out well Phil, I just bought my first SW mount, an AZ-EQ6 GT, I previously avoided the EQ6 etc due to the 'grating' noise they generated but the AZ-EQ is very quiet by comparison and works well. I use it only in AZ mode and once balanced it tracks very nicely....

Clancy Lane
23-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Matt,

Your mount and the EQ6-r seem to share some similarities, but yours looks more solid...especially the weight bar!

Works well in AZ mode? maybe I should have got one of these instead!

cheers, Phil

JA
23-11-2016, 02:20 PM
Good on yer Phil,

The beer /coffee/scotch is always a good equaliser. You're in QLD & Clive's in WA, perhaps a drink half-way in the NT or SA?
Tele-conference it!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Best
JA