PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade telescopes with StarLock

LookingAbove
20-11-2016, 08:20 AM
I own a Meade LX600 telescope with StarLock. StarLock is Meade's fully autonomous guider, principally for astrophotography. When I started to experiment with astrophotography, I found that the StarLock was not working properly; the target star would quickly drift out of the FOV. I googled for a solution, and there were various suggestions; the drift alignment was off, the level of the telescope was off, the guide scope was out of focus.

After checking/correcting each of these possible issues I found that the target star would still drift very quickly out of the FOV. It seemed like the correcting signals being sent to the telescope were somehow corrupted and making the tracking worse than if there were no guider at all. As a result I was at the point of abandoning the StarLock and looking for a replacement.

By chance, I tried another google search, and found a post to a forum where a user had exactly the same issue with the StarLock as I. The user's name is Fabian Rodriguez from Perth, and he went all the way to solve the problem. Fabian has a Meade LX850 with StarLock and he contacted the Meade engineers, arranged a Skype session, and in the end they came up with a result. It turns out that the StarLock has a firmware problem. Even though the GPS knows that it is in the Southern Hemisphere, that detail isn't recognised by the StarLock, and as a result it drives the scope away from the target star until it is lost.

Every Meade telescope with StarLock in the Southern Hemisphere will suffer from this problem.

To their credit, Fabian and the Meade engineers devised a work-around that makes the StarLock work.
The work-around is:
- "Reverse L/R" should be on (Auto Star saves this setting),
- "Reverse U/D" should be on (AutoStar saves this setting),
- Change the "DEC. Guiding" from "North & South" to "North only" or "South only" (AutoStar does NOT save this setting, so you need to reset it for every session)
Note: Fabian uses "North only", while I find "South only" provides better guiding.

Fabian and the Meade engineers discovered this firmware problem in 2014; with the engineers saying that they would update the firmware; this has not yet happened!

Additionally, "training the drive" is necessary to ensure perfect tracking. There are two processes to achieve this, Periodic Error Correction (PEC), and Automatic Rate Calibration (ARC). These are both described in the Meade User Manual, however I would like to add some detail about the PEC training. It is advised to run the PEC training, then several iterations of the PEC update as well. The manual states that the PEC training takes 6.4 minutes. I have found that the PEC training takes 24 minutes, and one episode of the PEC updating takes 24 minutes as well. The ARC is relatively quick at four minutes.

You can monitor the corrections sent from the StarLock to the scope under "StarLock Status". There are two changing values displayed; the first is for RA the second is for Dec. Once the values for both vary between +2.0 and -2.0 then you are ready to take some photos!

PS - Many thanks to Fabian Rodriguez for all the assistance he has provided to me over the last month or so.

John W
22-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Hi John, I too have a Meade LX600 scope. Is your scope on an EQ wedge or alt azimuth fork? Mine is on a alt az fork - I find sometimes it tracks OK but at other times it drift. And sometimes finds the wrong guide star. Thanks for the info. I'll check settings on mine when i hear back from you. Regards, John W.

LookingAbove
22-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Hi John W,
My mount is an alt az on a wedge.
I must admit that I had been observing for around two years and didn't have a problem until I tried to take photos; and then it became obvious that I had a problem.

LookingAbove

AndrewJ
22-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Gday John/John

Re finds the wrong "guide star" not sure what you mean as it has no idea of guide stars, it just selects the brightest one and guides.
For HiPrec slewing, it can definitely get the wrong star at times, but that only affects gotos, not tracking.
Re tracking, i know there was a bug in the 16" firmware when alt az but not sure if it affected the smaller models.
Starlock ON normally masked its effects, but with Starlock OFF, it had no hope of tracking in AltAz.

Also "Alt Az on a wedge" makes no sense, need more info on exactly how it is set up.

Andrew

LookingAbove
24-11-2016, 07:35 AM
Sorry, what meant to say is that I have is a fork on a wedge. Also your comment is correct the StarLock doesn't know what star it is using to guide.

LookingAbove
24-11-2016, 09:04 AM

This is an image of a scope similar to mine.

AndrewJ
24-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Gday John
The 24min for PEC is correct, as to all intents and purposes, the drive system of the LX600 is functionally the same as the LX200GPSs.
Re the Fabian Rodriguez problem, that is the first i have ever heard of it, and i watch most Meade related sites.
I dont understand how swapping the Rev L/R etc keys would affect anything here, as the pulseguides used to do "guiding" ignore this setting???
There is a known bug/feature, where in the Sth Hemi, the handbox will move you opposite to the pulseguides at times, but again, that is not guiding related.
( You need to understand that at speed 1, the move commands go in true RA/DEC space, but at speed 2 and above, they go in Up/Down, Left Right )
As you are Polar, if you want to test this, simply set your speed to 2x and then use the UP button.
Note the direction it goes.
Now set the speed to 1x and use the UP button.
It will actually go the other way.
Lots of "quirks" in the way it operates

Andrew

LookingAbove
24-11-2016, 01:46 PM
Hi Andrew J,
I will try out the difference in U/D between x1 and x2.
Regarding the guiding, all I can tell you is that I had no success with guiding until I changed to these settings. Maybe I'll swap back to the default L/R, and default U/D and see what happens.

Regards,
LookingAbove

AndrewJ
24-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Gday John

Hours of fun to be had:lol: ( esp when you are trying to automate things and you have no idea which way something will go )
It only happens for Sth Hemi users, hence the Meade engineers never really took notice of its effects.

That would be interesting to test.

Basically there are 4 ways to "guide"
1) Set handbox to speed 1 and use handbox keys
2) Set motor speeds to guide and use serial "move" commands
3) Use serial "PulseGuide" commands
4) Use ST4 commands

1 and 2 respect the Rev L/R, U/D settings
3 and 4 ignore them ( and your current speed settings )
Starlock uses method 3 when it goes into guide mode, so "in theory", the rev settings should have no effect ( unless they use "Move" commands when doing some calibrations???? )
( I could never get my hands on a real Starlock unit to put on my LX200, so couldnt test any of that properly. )

Andrew