PDA

View Full Version here: : Celestron Fastar?

Solanum
12-11-2016, 03:56 PM
My scope has the Fastar secondary and I was wondering about people's experience with Fastar imaging?

Tracking is OK when I get the scope nice and level (especially using local align with SkySafari), but not exactly perfect, plus I have the original tripod, so stability is an issue. Consequently, I was thinking it would probably only be useful for planets?

I think that Starizona Hyperstar is the only set-up currently available, despite Fastar being on current scopes? It is nearly as much as the scope cost me though.

What reasonable (but not too expensive....) camera would work in this set-up?

I am only vaguely interested in imaging so I suspect the expensive of all this will be out of any reasonable interest x cost ratio, but thought I'd ask here for opinions.

Zuts
13-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Fastar will not be suitable for planets as it will change your focal length to around F2, for planets you need to go the other way by adding barlows to get to around F30 or greater.

Generally to image extended objects like nebulas you need an EQ mount however Fastar is so fast that you can get reasonable images on an ALT-AZ mount with no guiding.

As to cameras a suitable ZWO non planetary camera would be ideal as they are small, light and round so a perfect fit to put on the corrector of an SCT.

Camelopardalis
13-11-2016, 11:37 AM
Yeah Hyperstar shortens the focal length so no good for planetary, more like wide field. Not inexpensive either, so not really something if you're just interested in dabbling.

I can recommend a ZWO planetary cam also, I use the ASI224MC which is super sensitive and low noise. I have used it with my 8SE and it works fine. If you're going to try planetary imaging on the SE mount then it's worth taking the time to level and do a good star alignment as that helps the tracking stay on track...once you stick a Barlow in the optical path, any tracking errors become all the more noticeable ;)

Star Hunter
13-11-2016, 01:14 PM
I have had a black OTA C14 FS since they came out in '98/99 and sold the original Hypserstar optics to get the newer one to take DSLR's.

I use the SX25MC CCD for asteroid/comet search and WF shots of nebulae.

As others say here, a FS OTA is no good for planetary imaging, as the image will be too small.

If you're into imaging - galaxies, etc then yes, the FS system is the way to go.

By Nov.19, I take delivery of a Celestron 11" RASA to be used with a Nikon 810a DSLR for my work. As one who is into searching and exploring, its not the thrill of the kill, but the hunt itself. But sometimes, one has to stop, rest, admire and capture the scenery! lol.

Jim