PDA

View Full Version here: : Future observatory setup

benklerk
11-11-2016, 08:53 AM
As only one person had replied to me in the beginner's equipment I will post the same question here.

I have set aside 25K to build a backyard observatory and all the equipment.
I currently have a GSO 6" RC with guide scope 80mmx400fl on an HEQ5 and a DSLR. Also, have a TAK scope. So going with an upgrade.

What do you think of the gear?

Skywatcher EQ8, also looking at the Mesu 200.
GSO 12" RC, if money is left over I could go with a GSO 14" RC.
Moonlight Focuser or feather touch
Moravian Inst G4-9000 with 7 50mm square filter wheel. Can get a 9 50mm round filters for the same price but don't know what is better; square or round.
Astrodon LRGB, Baader Ha 3.5nm and Baader clear filter. Can get Baader LRGB cheaper.
Don't know if I need a field flattener?
Is there anything I forgot to add?

Also trying to find some information, maybe you can help. What is the image circle of a GSO 12" or 14". Will it fit with the full frame sensor with the G4-9000 (they also do a G4-16200 I think) or will it cause vignetting?

Also need ideas and help with designing an observatory too. I have a 3x3m square concrete pad I can use as I will be removing an old garden shed which will fall down soon.

Time-frame is hopeful January next year.

Ben

JA
11-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Hi Ben,

Seems like a worthy pursuit. If it is going to be a remote observatory, don't forget cabling to the house, be it underground/conduit or suspended in costings. If not then you possibly need desk space for PC and other gear and if 3x3m is the maximum that may be a challenge for that as well as good movement and access for a larger scope. If it's larger than that, then allow me to be mundane and suggest bed space for those LONG imaging sessions or when you need some you-time. Who knows?

Is it going to be a slide to the side roof? If so, that could also be automated for kicks with a simple sliding gate motor and gear rack.

Food for thought

Best
JA

glend
11-11-2016, 09:46 AM
There is an Observatory sub-forum here on IIS, most people building observatories run their threads there, might get more input etc.

It sounds like you are after long focal length for DSOs, which means you are going to need a very solid foundation. If your putting in a pad for the observatory consider a good sized footing for a pier. You can buy (from Andrews) the EQ8 head unit without the tripod, and mount that on the permanent pier. If you do not plan on travelling with the EQ8 this will save you a little money. Make sure you do not scrimp on the footing, it needs to be adequate for that rig.
Yes, put power in. If you are within wifi distance to the house that saves running data cables. I use Teamviewer on a laptop in the house to keep an eye on things happening in my observatory (via wifi).
Give some consideration to your control systems now. I use SGP for almost everything and it will run unattended all night long.

Heaps more info in the Observatory sub-forum.
Good luck

benklerk
11-11-2016, 10:38 AM
HI Glen (glend)

I have posted also into the DIY observatorys, you were the last one to make a comment on it months ago, but now have free time to really look into all the costings.
The location will be in my backyard with a roller roof using AAG to close the roof when the weather gets bad. Hoping to image most of the night over multiple nights and stack.

This is for the gear I have chosen for the backyard observatory, I just want to see if it fits togeather and if it doesn't I don't want loose money on items where I cannot use them.

benklerk
17-11-2016, 08:29 AM
Does anyone have any more input?

glend
17-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Only this. While RCs do not need a flattener, some owners of RCs of that size use a reducer with the scope, you might want to consider that as an accessory. It can reduce your f ratio and make imaging a bit faster.
You might find a motorised focuser useful, one that can be controlled by your imaging software (SGP etc). Moonlight and Feathertouch provide motor options. Consider you ASCOM platform for the observatory and how much automation you want. Re filters, I run the Baaders and they are just fine, and I would suggest you buy the complete Baader set which is LRGB plus Narrowband (Ha, Oiii, and Sii). Buying the complete set saves you money (check prices at Teleskop-Express, and remember that they deduct the Euro 19% VAT from sales to Australia). I know a lot of people do not think of narrowband for galaxies, but it is important for any nebula (emission or planetary), and allows you much more scope for imaging during moon affected periods.
Good luck.