PDA

View Full Version here: : Carton Mini 6 60mm info sought and other items

toppy
09-11-2016, 10:52 PM
Hi all,
I'm gearing up after coming to back astronomy after 20 years. I have purchased some good stuff from the members on IIS, much appreciated.
I was sorting through my storage and have some odds and ends and wondering if there is a good site that has brochures or lists of accessories that came with 60 mm Japanese refractors such as carton, unitron and a couple of other badged scopes I have. Anyhow, I separated the accessories from the telescopes and their wooden boxes and packed them in bubble wrap in smaller boxes in a larger single box a long time ago and can't remember which eyepieces, etc. came with each scope.
Is anyone aware of an English site that would have this information?
Could only find one Japanese auction site with a Carton advertised, not much info though.
Cheers Pete

MortonH
09-11-2016, 11:04 PM
I reckon if you post this in the refractor section on Cloudy Nights you'll get lots of replies.

Perfect timing to add your photos to this thread:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/554915-little-glass-64mm-and-under-post-em-up/

toppy
13-11-2016, 12:28 PM
What a gem of a site, spent the morning looking through various threads.
Thanks very much. The Carton popped with several photos.
Will post some photos soon.

anj026
14-11-2016, 11:34 AM
There are some Carton catalogues here;

http://yumarin7.sakura.ne.jp/retrokan/CsiryouN2F.html

Click on the icons to open up the pdf files.

Wavytone
14-11-2016, 12:47 PM
I used to have the big brother to that mount in the early 1980's.

At that time the larger Carton refractor - which I think was a 4" f/13 clone of the Unitron equivalent (though it didn't look half as good) - was usually supplied with 3 x 0.965" eyepieces - 25 and 12mm Kellner, and a 6mm ortho. Fairly sure they were generic unbranded ones which were quite common in the 70's and 80's though probably of the same origin as the circle-V ones, i.e. Vixen Japan.

I would expect similar for that scope. If there was a star diagonal it would have been a 0.965" prism type.

One thing to look at closely is the tripod - the legs on mine were softwood stained brown - lightweight but not particularly strong and easily damaged. I rapidly replaced it with an old Miller tripod which i picked up secondhand.

toppy
15-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Exactly what I was looking for on page 15 of the 1985 catalogue.
Many thanks

toppy
15-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Yes, 0.965 accessories and eyepieces. I can't believe how heavy and solid the EQ head is for such a small scope. And very smooth mechanically.
I've found two versions of eyepieces with the unitron parts, the later version is clearly marked unitron, the generics only with mm and type of eyepiece.
Thanks for the info.