PDA

View Full Version here: : SOLD ! how do you feel now?

atalas
05-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Sold your Telscope, how do you feel now?

:sad: Ive sold three scope in the past and still think about them.
Super C8
Rayal 3in refracter on EQmount
Classic C8
All good scopes so why did I sell?

Louie :confused:

acropolite
05-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Best thing you could do is get together with striker and Dave47tuc and have a good cry. :sad:

atalas
05-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Hi Phil

I had a better idea ,I went and bought two Taks and a big DOB!

Louie:party:

ving
05-04-2005, 03:32 PM
havent yet had to sell one. not looking forward to it tho.
I remeber selling my last car was heart breaking. it was a citroen and quirky as all hell. I loved it :(

atalas
05-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi Ving

What did you replace it with?

Louie:cool3:

ving
05-04-2005, 03:55 PM
an astra! lol
I went from quirky to boring :)

atalas
05-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Don't worry Ving an 8 in Dob ain't boring!

Louie:astron:

Striker
05-04-2005, 04:10 PM
I feel extremely depressed knowing I have $5000 to spend on another telescope.......lol......extremely depressed...

ballaratdragons
05-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Hey David,

At least you bought a car with an astronomical name! LOL

ballaratdragons
05-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Tony, I am still trying to find a shop that sells the 16" Meade in Australia.

atalas
05-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Striker Im happy you have $5,000 to spend on another scope !

I wish I was selling you one ,but don't worry someone will ! oh wait you were joking about the depression !

Louie:rofl:

ving
05-04-2005, 04:39 PM
hey tony, you can buy my dob for $5k!! :D

atalas
05-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Now that would be depressing Ving !

Louie:rain:

Dave47tuc
05-04-2005, 06:22 PM
I have had and sold around 15 scopes:whistle:

Must be part of the hobby.

Mite keep my next one for a month or two:P

Selling one is allways sad. But getting a new one makes up for it.

I keep smileing:D

atalas
05-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Ah spoken like a true seasoned Astro Traveller !
Give us a list Dave so we can drewl !

Louie:bowdown:

Starkler
05-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Im still waiting to sell mine :poke:

The other scope I had that I sold was an 8 inch f5 saxon dob.
I do miss it coz it was cute and a nice size for throwing in the back seat of the car.

Rodstar
05-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Has anyone thought of buying one of those new RCX400's??

I checked out the prices on the Bintel site the other night. 10" is about $8,500. If I had my time over, I'd be giving it some serious thought.

Rodstar

Dave47tuc
05-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Not quite on topic,

But I have heard both Meade and Celestron are not doing to well.

The Asian market may kill them. Who knows.

I have not had many scopes to drewl over Louie.

The LX200 GPS was about the best i have owned.

I had a 8" LX3 many years ago. A LXD55 6" Refractor.

120mm SkyWatcher.

Vixen VCM 200L on EQ5.

I built 4 Newts. All with Parks Mirrors. They where fantastic.

A few type Refractors and reflectors early on, Tasco types.

A very nice 75 mm Unitron wish i still had this one.

12" Dob Astro mirror. 6" Vixen reflector.

Thats about it i think
:whistle:

Oh and a 10" on the way.

I have had a few more eyepieces than scopes. At one stage i had 30 eyepieces. Now i use 3:D

Just like scope stuff.

:cheers:

janoskiss
05-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Stuffem! (Celestron & Meade that is). They're going down cos they got greedy! It was just too tempting to go where the big bucks are: junk scopes for the unwary masses! But they did this after they've defined (and one may argue established) themselves as manufacturers who do not compromise on quality. Of course they can't compete with Asian manufacturers any more! Imagine what would happen to Astro-Physics or Takahashi if they started putting their names on the sort of junk scopes we see on ebay.

PS, I know nothing & I'm just blowing smoke out of my arse. I've never looked through any of their scopes.

ballaratdragons
05-04-2005, 09:34 PM
At least if Guan Sheng buys the lot, we will all be able to afford large aperture computer drive Scmitt-Cassegrain GoTo's with the lot, coz we can start a price war between Andrews and Bintel.

atalas
06-04-2005, 10:39 AM
There is nothing different about the quality of Gaun Sheng or Mead or Celestron there all hit and miss !
Mead and Celestron's prices are OK over sea's the problem here is that for some reason Tasco seem to have the right to be the sole importer and most of the other stores have to buy through them !
The consumer needs a Lawer ! Thay do the same thing with Synta products,now thats not creating a monopoly is it? Gaun Sheng does not share there buisness beiliefs ,maybe thats why China wants to move in Tiawan,who knows?
Dave those Newt's with Parks mirrors thay would of been sweeeet !

lLouie:party2:

ballaratdragons
06-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Guan Sheng makes most of Celestrons mirrors anyway (and a dozen other brand names). Synta mirrors are (or have been) used by some major brands too.

And if you look at the GS range of scopes they look almost identical to celestrons. The quality of accessories (focusers etc) just isn't the same as Celestron or Meade but if they all sold out to GS or Synta, will they use the GS parts still and just re-label the scopes with Celestron or Meade stickers as other companies do with other products?

It does make a person wonder where the quality will go. Up to a standard? or up to a price?

atalas
06-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Yes Ken your right on the ball! the real point I wanted to make was that there is unfair Trade here,because of certain companies .
Lee from Andrews Electronics told me that he had an account with Synta and inporting straight from them before Tasco step in ! I can't believe this is legal its creating a monopoly which is illegal isn't it ?

Louie:confused: