PDA

View Full Version here: : Finderscopes. Decisions!

04Stefan07
03-11-2016, 11:10 AM
In the market for a new finderscope. Currently have the red dot finder and I think it's time to upgrade. Ones I am looking at below.

- Celestron 9x50mm Right Angle Correct Image Illuminated Finder Scope with Bracket
- Celestron StarPointer Pro
- Telrad

For those who own them if you can provide the following which will help me out heaps.

- Weight
- Ease of use
- Cons

See my setup in my signature.

Thanks!
Stefan.

RB
03-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Telrad.

:thumbsup:

04Stefan07
03-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Straight to the point, nice!

RB
03-11-2016, 11:35 AM
You'll love it.
I use it to get me in the 'area', even when I'm imaging.
And it's great to star hop and you can setup a 'Telrad marker' in Starynight so you can see the FOV of the Telrad on your screen.
I suppose you can do it with the others too but Telrads are nice to use, for me.

:)

Robh
03-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Hi Stephan,

Keep the red dot finder and use it in conjunction with the 9x50 finderscope.
The 9x50 finderscope is far more useful than a Telrad, especially in fainter star fields.

The red dot finder is not heavy and could be relocated (if necessary) just by using double-sided tape.

Regards, Rob

glend
03-11-2016, 01:19 PM
My personal view is that they are not necessary for imagers - you already have a big one in your scope and camera. If you are reasonably aligned they are not needed. Frame and focus with SGP is all i use.
If you must, get a right angle one, it will save you neck problems.

RB
03-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Glen's correct, if you're imaging, which is what I assumed you'd be doing, in reality you don't need it.
But, for me, it's very convenient to just use a Telrad, hence why I said to get me 'in the area' of where I'm imaging.
Also with the Telrad's FOV I get a better idea when using Starrynight and the Telrad FOV overlay of my imaging field and target.

It's simple enough to use, look through it, confirm you're close to your object and you're done with it, you won't need to use it again till you move onto the next object.

But if you want it for visual, then what Rob said is spot on.

:)

04Stefan07
03-11-2016, 01:48 PM
Great feedback.

I should note I will be both imaging and visual so will be a mix.

Have taken the StarPointer Pro out of the list as it seems not much of an upgrade from the standard red dot finder.

g__day
03-11-2016, 09:01 PM
I like the 8 x 50mm GSO right angle finders Andrews sell for $99 - very sharp optics!

sharpiel
03-11-2016, 11:08 PM
If you're going with a finder scope go with this one (or similar). The RA prism can be rotated (just the RA prism, not the whole finder scope) to allow convenient eyepiece orientation/viewing despite the orientation of your scope...just like the RA prisms on your SCT or refractor. After all what's the point of an RA finder if the eyepiece isn't pointing the right way half the time..?

https://binocularandtelescope.com.au/product/celestron-illuminated-raci-finder-scope/

I have two of them. One for each of my night telescopes.