PDA

View Full Version here: : Revising Telescope Setup

04Stefan07
01-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Having a think of revising my current telescope setup to make it easier to manage.

Is it possible to have SkyFi connected to an iPad with SkySafari via wireless to control the telescope and slew to objects easily and being able to autoguide using either PHD/Open PHD Guiding software as well as having the main camera (either my DSLR or ZWO ASI) connected via AstroLiveUSB/Nebulosity/BackyardEOS?
I have a feeling you can only do this using ASCOM drivers. Both setups look to be doable on both Mac and Windows now that Mac has EQMac.

Basically I want to know if it's possible to be able to control the telescope via wireless but still have the ability to autoguide and take images. This also brings in another question on how to conduct a polar/star alignment as well.

Not sure if it will work or not but any input would be appreciated!

Software for both platforms (thoughts an opinions?)

Mac
- Telescope/Mount Control: EQMac & AstroLiveUSB (unsure how this one works)
- Guiding: Open PHD Guiding & PHD
- Image Capturing: AstroLiveUSB & Nebulosity

Windows
- Telescope/Mount Control: ASCOM/Stallarium Scope (integrates with Stallarium)
- Guiding: Open PHD Guiding/PHD/MetaGuide
- Image Capturing: AstroLiveUSB/Nebulosity/SharpCap/FireCapture/BackyardEOS

glend
01-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Yes you can. I have a NEQ6 Pro controlled by Sky Safari Pro via an Astro Devices Nexus wifi box. I do not use ASCOM mount control yet because Sky Safari is so easy.
I use SGP to manage my imaging and my ASI1600MM-C and filter wheel, or BYEOS for the Canon 450D. You would need ASCOM platform 6.2 on the laptop to use SGP with the ASI1600 ( which has an ASCOM driver). I use Metaguide to guide (ASI130 guide camera). Imaging cameras are connected via USB to the laptop.
The only complication with Syncscan mounts using this method is that your wifi connected via the hand controller port and this means initial alignment has to be done with the hand controller as per normal standalone operation, once aligned you do a Sky Safari alignment on your wifi device and there after Sky Safari will control everything until you shutdown - using the hand controller to Park. It sounds complicated but is really very simple and only take a minute.
I am sure others do it differently but this works well for me. I may use SGP to do more in the future, like focus control, but that does not interfere with mount control as it is now, via wifi.
I have tried ASCOM mount control and was not happy about the choices i had for control, as i prefer a graphic user interface like Sky Safari.

04Stefan07
01-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the reply mate.

That sounds like the setup I want to aim for. Just want to try and eliminate ASCOM control and rely on SkySafari.

Where did you buy the Astro Devices Nexus WiFi box from? Are you able to link me to it?

That would be great as it would eliminate another USB connection to my laptop and just have them for my cameras.

Sorry what is SGP? I am guessing it doesn't stand for Salt, Garlic and Pepper :lol:

Are you able to take some photos of the setup and post them here as well?

Cheers,
Stefan.

Camelopardalis
02-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Just setup your laptop next to and wired up to the telescope and control wirelessly using remote desktop...

bojan
02-11-2016, 09:59 AM
:thumbsup: That's how I am going to do it.

04Stefan07
02-11-2016, 11:11 AM
I tried that but it didn't seem quick enough.

This will also be for setting up when I am in the middle of nowhere as well.

Camelopardalis
02-11-2016, 05:24 PM
Not all wifi devices are made equal, and it may be that your devices are negotiating lower than desirable connection speed.

I use an iPad mini to control my Intel NUC which I use out in the field connected to my scope with no issues.

When I was first setting it all up I even tested some planetary imaging...it wasn't perfect, as there's no way RDP can keep up with that kind of frame rates, but it worked well enough.

Alternatively, if you want to dig deeper, then INDI might be a way forward. This should be network transparent...

glend
02-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Stefan, just Google "Astro Devices", they are based in Sydney and sell their products world wide. Give Serge a ring and he can sort it all out for you.

SGP is Sequence Generator Pro, it is a work flow management tool for imaging. You can download a trial version for free to have a play with it. It automates alot of processes and will run your imaging for you. I had it running all night, last night in my observatory, managing my camera exposures, temperature control, filter swaps, etc and i watched it all from the comfort of my louge room via Teamviewer. If can even alert you if something goes wrong.
There are other apps that do similiar thing but most are expensive and complicated imho. SGP is like Backyard EOS on steroids, easy to use but powerful and with manybmore features.

04Stefan07
06-11-2016, 01:09 PM
SGP looks pretty darn good! Have been playing around with it.

I think I will wait til I find a second hand WiFi device. Can't justify spending between $200 and $260 for a box that emits a WiFi signal.