PDA

View Full Version here: : Blue Mountains - Victoria Falls Rd, Mt Vic, 29th Oct

mental4astro
10-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Hi all,

Sadly, there is still no word on gaining access to Katoomba Airfield as yet. So I'm planning to head up to the new Obs site along Victoria Falls Rd at Mt Victoria, on the 29th of October.

The site is a tick over 3km from the Victoria Falls Rd/Great Western Hwy intersection. The road surface is unsealed but nothing that a sedan can't handle. It just requires some careful driving as the surface can be rutted and have some gouges cut out of it due to water erosion. If you've been to the Airfield, the road surface here is the same. Access to the Obs field is good, and if it gets busy, there is more parking, which can also be used as a second obs field, just 20m further up.

The site is truly fantastic with a totally uninterrupted 360° horizon, and even a peak of the Sydney Harbour Bridge some 92km away from a tiny gap between Mt Banks and the neighbouring ridge! Only thing is it is totally exposed being on top of a ridge, and only with low shrubbery around it - not the trees that surround the runway at the Airfield.

If you haven't been to a dark sky site, this is a good chance to do so with like minded folks who are only too happy to help out. Scope or no scope, it doesn't matter. Just be aware that astro dark sky fields use only red light, NOT white light. So if you only have a white light torch, cover it with two or three layers of red cellophane. I may have a few little red lights I can hand out too. Be aware too that it is really dark out here, and not a great place for little kids to go wondering.

Being three weeks out, forecast for the 29th are unreliable right now. So the final yay or ney for the session will be given much closer to the date. Keep an eye on this thread for updates and any other info. And if you have any questions, just ask.

Hope to see you there,

Alex :)

GUS.K
10-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Looking forward to it,will see you there Alex.

Steffen
10-10-2016, 09:43 PM
I'm curious about this new site, I hope I can make it this time.

Rick Parrott
11-10-2016, 08:59 AM
Looks to be sensational Alex; we have a birthday party to attend on that evening however.
Looking forward to your report :)

haroon132
20-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Hi Guys, when do you guys start at this new location? I am new to astronomy and will love to join you guys on 29th to learn more about stargazing.

mental4astro
20-10-2016, 10:04 PM
I'm hoping to get there around 6pm (sunset is around 7pm) and set up a few witches hats and tape to mark the location of the set up site.

Note that the site is immediately behind a large red rock on the right hand side of the road, and up a slight rise - see the pic below for the turn off location and the large red rock on the road side.

Wavytone
21-10-2016, 09:38 PM
I'm out - wife has bought stream train tickets for the same afternoon which effectively precludes stargazing. Such is family life with a little one who, after 2 weeks in the UK and several steam trains later, is now obsessed with choof-choofs.

Steffen
22-10-2016, 02:12 PM
The forecast has improved a lot in the last couple of days, I'm looking forward to this.

AG Hybrid
23-10-2016, 05:04 PM
sure why not?

Wavytone
26-10-2016, 07:30 PM
My profuse apologies to all - despite teasing us for a few days, the forecast has now gone decidedly south...

I have a new shiny shiny toy and the weather gods are venting their spleen as they are wont to do.

mental4astro
27-10-2016, 08:43 AM
Forecast not looking good at all, :(

Wavy, might be necessary to do a telescope sacrifice in an attempt to appease the Sky Gods. I've heard of a little 70mm refractor that would make for a fine sacrifical lamb... :rolleyes::lol: Also of a 130mm refractor that would certainly buy us six months of clear skies! ;) :thumbsup: :clap: :atom: :xmas: :prey: :party:

Wavytone
27-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Mm... I'll need some kindling... (me looking at your nice large dobs):rofl:

mental4astro
28-10-2016, 09:27 AM
The call has to be made -

Sorry folks, but the weather is not being kind to us, and it is not going to happen for us for this Saturday.

We'll try again for November 26.

Alex.

claude2570
04-11-2016, 11:37 PM
Hi Alex an all

This site I have going for a while before the airfield had been shut down for personal reason.. Great site tho n full view in any direction.. :D

Looking forward to going when it's clear. Looking like this Saturday is a go ahead or I might try around the corner at my place at flat rock.

See you all.

Claude :D