PDA

View Full Version here: : Any one Buy a QHY CCD camera ?

Gama
13-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Has anybody bought or know of someone that did, any CCD camera from QHY.
I am contemplating getting one, but due to the fact he's in China doesnt warm the botom of my heart to send money overseas.

He does seem legit, but we all know how easy fancy graphics and words can do.

iceman
13-11-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm pretty sure he's legit, because I've seen others who have used his cameras.

I believe Gary Beal bought one, and I even used it for a short time. I think David Pretorius then tried it for a while.

I believe he's also a member of this forum.

jase
13-11-2006, 07:27 PM
I've also performed some research into the QHY CCD camera. There does appear to be some value for money, but my concerns were around the camera support. At the time of reseach, there was limited support for this camera... This makes integration with, ASCOM, TheSky and CCD imaging tools such as MaximDL and CCDsoft a little difficult.

I believe this has now changed as plugins are now available for MaximDL etc. I'm still a little concerned with support though.

Gama
13-11-2006, 07:58 PM
As long as Maxim works, that should be good.
But as you said, he is making drivers for other software packages..

seeker372011
13-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Look at the image Ken has posted of NGC 55-taken with a Qhy camera!

gbeal
14-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Gama,
I did indeed have one of his cameras, one of the first he produced, a 3.3 megapixel one shot colour.
In those days it worked only with "his" software, and not to my liking. I sold it a while after, but maybe should have persevered.
As Mike indicated I also tried one of his "SuperPlanetary" CMOS webcams, that also does short long exposures (out to about a minute or three).
As a webcam it was great, 1280x1024 pixels, but again it only worked with his software (for the LX side), and I could only make it work as a webcam.
I have lent it to a friend in NZ and he loves it.
In as much as sending money to an unknown, I dealt with him, without any problems whatsoever. There is a time difference, and also a slight language barroer, but his English is very good, and to be honest I would buy from him again. If/when I do however it MUST run with something like Maxim DL, or AstroArt, otherwise I won't be getting anywhere. Good luck, which model were you thinking of. He is indeed a forum member.

Gama
14-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Im looking at the QHY8, it seems pretty good, and it does have Maxim DL support. He is working on an Astroart driver too.

gbeal
14-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Gam,
like I said, if it runs on either Maxim DL or AstroArt it will be a winner, and at that price more so. If I am correct it is the Nikon D50 or D70 chip, but cooled.
I didn't have any problems with his integrity, just the work-ability of the camera.
Gary

Dennis
14-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Hi Gary

Now you can't write teaser that and not provide me with any further details, drool, drool, drool... Do you have a link to the camera, specs and approx price?

Thanks!

Dennis

gbeal
14-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Nope, sorry Den. It was "teased" on CloudyNights a while back, and I wrote to him about it. Both Davo and Mike tried it without really enjoying it, although I do think drivers were a problem, as it is computer hungry and demanded USB2 to go.
He (QHY) has a whole raft of stuff in the pipeline, and really you should be talking to the butcher, not the chopping block. Maybe he will see this and comment.