PDA

View Full Version here: : Upgrading MS Outlook

strongmanmike
25-09-2016, 10:40 AM
So.. about to buy a whole new computer and was wondering....

The current computer (2008 32bit core two duo 3Ghz running Vista home premium) is running Outlook 2003 (I know :ashamed:) and obviously I will be loading the latest version of Outlook on the new machine which will likely have Winodws10.. but can the new Outlook be populated with the addresses and saved emails, folders etc form the old Outlook on the old machine?...and if so, how would one do this?

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question :face:

Mike

multiweb
25-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Yes. That's a straight import. Locate the PST file, usually outlook.pst, on your old machine then copy it on your new one and import it from your new version of outlook. All your calendar, contacts, tasks, emails will be transferred over.

strongmanmike
25-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Thanks Marc, that easy huh?

Do you mean "to"

Mike

multiweb
25-09-2016, 10:51 AM
From, as you open your new version of outlook that will have a default PST file. You'll have to go to the data file management and point it to the old PST file instead or do an import. One or the other. You can have multiple PST files too. So if you wanted you could keep the old one and the default one as well instead.

strongmanmike
25-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Ok cheers Marc :thumbsup:

Mike

multiweb
25-09-2016, 12:05 PM
Good practice to backup that PST file somewhere else out of your C: drive as well. It contains everything you need to start from scratch. Try to keep it under 2GB as well. Over this size the mail clients start to get a little sluggish.

Exfso
25-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Archiving is a great way to keep the pst file down in size too. I found my Outlook was crawling, once I archived older stuff into another folder, all of a sudden it was up to speed again. Having said that it is a little off topic, but worth looking into.