PDA

View Full Version here: : Recommendations on a portable refractor

m11
25-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Hi All,

I would like to get a refractor for portability as i have a dob. I was thinking getting the Orion 80ed triplet or the Explore Scientific 102mm triplet or doublet?

What would you guys recommend?

Also, the only place I saw that sells Explore Scientific is Frontier Optics. Has anyone purchased from them beforw?

Thanks for reading and and appreciate the help. I usually always need it :rofl:

glend
25-09-2016, 09:48 AM
Are you thinking of imaging or visual only? Mount is required as well. Your intended use decides the mount required, and the learning curve.

m11
25-09-2016, 10:34 AM
Hi Glend,

Looking to do both but visual at the start on an alt az mount as a portable scope. I will look to get a neq6 eq mount when finances allow to do imaging.

Thanks,

Mel

Tropo-Bob
25-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Mel,

I have the Orion ED Triplet and it is a fine scope.

It is great for quick looks at the Deep Sky. The view of the Small M Cloud framed in the field of a 24mm Panoptic is simply one of the most impressive Astronomical views that I have ever been privileged to see.

While it is good on the planets, it is only a 80mm scope and I prefer to view them with at least a 100mm scope.

Overall, it is a very light scope, easy to use and does not take up to much room when not in use.

glend
25-09-2016, 11:27 AM
An Alt/az manual mount like the Vixen Porta II would handle either scope you mentioned for visual use. There is now a digitial setting circle system for the Porta II mount, made by Astro Devices in Sydney which allows you to find objects very easily. Talk to Serge at Astro Devices.
Re Explore Scientific scopes they are ok but you can usually import them your self more cost effectively, i have had two in the past, purchased from Agena Astro. They are often on sale at OPT Corp, and Agena Astro, both in California, and they can deliver in about a week. For the Porta II mount try the Astroshop in Brisbane, they are a retailer. There is also a GSO Alt/az manual mount, availabke from Andrews. I think the Porta II with the Astro Devices system attached would give you a great start.

doug mc
25-09-2016, 11:40 AM
It is written. The fun begins at 100 mm.

m11
25-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for that. Appreciate you sharing your experiences with the Orion ed 80. Its a tough choice as I can only get one. Wish I can get them all :)

m11
25-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Hi Glend,

Thanks for that. I will look intothe Vixen Porta and getting the scope potentially from overseas.

Much appreciated for sharing you experience.

Mel

m11
25-09-2016, 01:31 PM
Hi Doug,

Yah agree, i have notices the prices tend to go up significantly as well :eyepop:

Mel

Hemi
26-09-2016, 12:02 AM
Hi Mel,

The "portable" has a very wide definition on this forum. With some defining a 20in trus dob that you can break down and get into a hummer about perfect as a portable scope could be:lol:

I have a c925 evolution and wanted a portable scope to go camping. After some research I bought the es102 cf from opt Corp. I'm happy with scope, but it's not portable for my purpose. Even with the CF version, you really can't camp/hike with it. The case it comes with is a shocker, it's a 10kg trunk! Without the tripod and mount.

I'm considering the Meade Etx80 for portability. It comes in a back pack! It's gotten some great reviews for this purpose on cloudy nights. There's also a great review and video by someone who uses it for portable EEA.

I think there is a significant size and weight difference between an 80 and a 102.

Cheers and good luck with your hunt.

dannat
26-09-2016, 12:11 AM
a short 90mm is as big as i like for portability

if you do ant to hike/camp something lie the celestron regal 100mm spotter which takes 1.25" ep's might fit the bill

skysurfer
26-09-2016, 04:25 PM
I have a 110mm ED w/ Super Polaris mount which I take on trips. The OTA can be transported as carry-on on an aircraft and the mount+tripod checked in.
But it depends on what requirements TO has for 'portable'.

m11
26-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Hi Hemi,
You make a good point in what is portable for people is differrent. I have a 16 inch dobby that i can break down quickly as its a truss tube.

I was looking for a scope that i could travel with, especially on a plane.

When researching i didnt realise the how long refractors can go.

Thanks,

m11
26-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Hi dannat,

Thanks for that.

M11

m11
26-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Hi skysurfer,

Is that the orion es110 ed?

Yah that was what i would like to be able to take it on as carry on.

Thanks,

Mel

skysurfer
27-09-2016, 04:53 AM
No, not an Orion, but a rebranded AstroPhysics / Stellarvue.

http://skysurfer.eu/AP110.php

It gives crisp nice images and is suitable for astrophotography.
I only modded it by replacing the too heavy dew shield and tube rings to let it weigh 4kg instead of 6kg. But it fits within the 55cm carry-on limit when the focuser is removed (easy). Last summer I took ik with me to South Africa and next summer I'll take it to NZ.

m11
28-09-2016, 12:39 AM
Nice mods skysurfer. :eyepop:

Unfortunately, I am truly terrible at handwork and tinkering.

Mel

m11
28-09-2016, 12:41 AM
Hi Glend,

Just want to say thanks again for your assiatance and knowlege sharing. You have definetly helped me point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Mel :)

Wavytone
28-09-2016, 07:15 AM
Another Alt-Az mount which IMHO is quite underrated here is the Skywatcher All-View (I have one). You can buy one direct from BHPhoto for under $600 which is much better than the local pricing.

It is considerably bigger than the Vixen Porta II and the rotatable arm means you can swing a refractor on it to the zenith without hitting the base. Stated payload is 4.5 kg but it can handle up to a 100mm f/5 refractor or a C5.

The beauty of this is that it can do a 1-star alignment and tracks fine for visual observing, it has a SYNSCAN handset, GOTO and in addition it has dual-encoders which means that once aligned, you can unclamp the axes and manually push it around the sky and it will figure out how to track without needing another alignment.

The handset means it can be interfaced via WiFi to Sky Safari on an iPad/iPhone as well.

And thats before mentioning what it can do for photographers as a panorama head.

m11
28-09-2016, 11:10 PM
Hi Wavytone,

Thank you for the info, much appreciated.

So many things to think about and work out what to get.

M11

m11
28-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Would you all recommend getting Stellarvue sv90T refractor?

I need to get the mounting plate and mount on top as it does not come with it.

Thanks,

M11

skysurfer
29-09-2016, 02:52 AM
What about this Genesis ? (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=148999&highlight=Genesis)
It is a rather compact 100mm f/5 with a new feathertouch focuser. I have had the same for 20 years, but the reason I sold is that (unlike this seller) I cound not remove the original focuser.
It weighs only 4.5kg and has excellent views and does not a field flattener for AP. Or is Sydney too far ?

m11
29-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Hi Skysurfer,

Thanks for the heads up and opportunity.

Currently still researching what to get with so many choices.

Regards,

M11

yoda776
19-10-2016, 10:03 PM
I found someone on ebay australia a while ago that sells the Explore Scientific ED80:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191565396625?_trksid=p2060353.m1438 .l2649&var=490644455667&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are many different scopes in either range and depends on budget too as to what you go for.

I have a Meade ED80 triplet 5000 series and while people may not think much of it, I think it is a great scope and quick and easy to set up. Even set it up as a 'push to' on a camera tripod, which is ultra quick. I could get really clear and high magnification on planets like Jupiter using a telextender and 9mm eyepiece (on a good night). These are currently replaced by the Meade 6000 series.

A lot of people appear to like the Williams Optics GT81 as well.

casstony
22-10-2016, 09:42 AM
If you're considering spending that much you might look at the Skywatcher Esprit 80 or 100. They're sold as a complete package with accessories including a flattener for imaging. You'd also have local warranty.

Wavytone
22-10-2016, 08:55 PM
My scopes have arrived.

Despite the rating of the All-View mount I tried putting the 130mm f7 truely ED APO on it - with 2" diagonal and eyepiece it nudges 11kg and for visual use the mount works perfectly well.

I was thinking of buying a bigger mount but for now I'll wait. The All-View works well enough apart from the tripod being a tad flimsy.

While my 70mm f/6.6 is a heavy one (quad ED APO so it has a LOT of glass, plus a really beefy focusser) it looks quite undersized on the mount.

FWIW both these APM / TS scopes are beautifully built, the images are perfect and meet all expectations as premium refractors.