PDA

View Full Version here: : Portable pier

I.C.D
14-09-2016, 06:02 AM
G'day All
Has anyone got a good design for a portable pier some thing about 700 mm high small enough to fit into a motorhome or caravan

ian:thumbsup:

glend
14-09-2016, 06:54 AM
There are some strong tripods that would do well at that height, like the NEQ6. Portable or field piers by their nature are heavy and still require legs that extend. I know of one fellow here that toured Australia with a EQ8 in his caravan storage, which sits on a field pier. The Advanced Telescope Systems portable pier might suit you, the smallest 8" one is 30" (762mm) high but its something like $2000usd then add shipping. You could get a local fabricator to make you one but that's going to cost. Any reason it has to be a pier? Can you make it yourself but just need plans?

Sol-Skysailor
14-09-2016, 09:32 PM
Ian, Here’s a half-baked idea for you. Any merits please stand on my shoulders.

This is conceptually similar to what I was thinking for a portable drop-keel for a small boat; where the dimensionally-awkward keel would be hollow then when in place, or at setup, several closed-bags of lead shots (or even sand) would be dumped in and the top secured off.

Here, such a pier must be multi-purpose, using little extra stuff/volume/weight, and as packable as possible.

So, a hollow cylinder (or two halves if can be solidly fastened) with a shelf close to the bottom, then say two more removable/securable shelves higher up sitting on inner flanges. Round is a must for better solidity against winds. During travel store stuff in it. At stops, set as a table, with another folded piece –it could even hold up a market-umbrella! If metal you could even cook on it. At night you could leave stuff stored there too, lidded against (bears or) dingoes.

For telescope, drop a bag of heavy stuff down the bottom if not already. Secure down the next shelf and drop another bag of heavies on it; then the next; but one shelf might work.

‘Stuff’ can be canned food, chains, oil can, a non-moving sleeping person (just checking if you’re reading), or containers filled with water at destination (when leaving, the water there is a great incentive to wash down the car/avan).

Cans have to be bagged! You don’t want to get out piecemeal 79 cans to get to the baked beans next morning.

An added possibility is a loose sandbag, large and flat with not much sand, to maybe help level the ground a bit.

Well…. Might not suit this but I had been eyeing those big electrical cable drum thingy. Would likely need hacking off some, all round. They look tantalisingly useful with lots of err... potential.

Cheers

ZeroID
15-09-2016, 11:00 AM
What are you planning to put on top of it ?
What's wrong with a good solid tripod ? Minimal weight for braced leg stability. Add a slung weight to reduce movement and vibrations.

julianh72
15-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Expanding on this idea:

"Stuff" can be all of the telescope / photographic gear you are carrying!

I'm thinking of a heavy-duty custom-built travel chest (timber or steel), which is used to carry and protect all of your gear (moulded foam receptacles, compartments for bits and pieces, etc). One end of the trunk has mounts for 4 levelling screws, so that it can be plumbed when stood on end. The other end has an adapter plate to fix your mount (would work fine for an AltAz-mounted SCT, might be a problem to get clearance for an EQ mounted scope).

When you get to your site, you open the trunk, remove the levelling feet and adapter from their receptacles in the trunk and fix to the ends, then stand the trunk on end. Plumb the trunk (with the spirit level and compass, which also have receptacles in the trunk), and then place the mount and OTA on top.

OK - maybe this is a bit far-fetched :screwy: - but done in teak, brass and leather, this would make a magnificent "Gentleman Explorer's Travel Observatory" - it would leave a Meade Backpack ETX90 "Portable Observatory" in the dust!

I.C.D
16-09-2016, 08:46 AM
G'Day Glen yes I am looking for some plans which I do my self, as I said space is the big thing
ian

glend
16-09-2016, 09:45 AM
Ian, if there is a Hunter Metal Market outlet near you drop in and see what they could provide in the way of a pier tube and fabrication recommendations. If you can weld then diy, but they should be able to provide what you need. Re plan, it is not hard to copy one of the portable piers like the ATS.

ZeroID
16-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Ok, sticking with the pier concept.
I'd design with foldout legs from the base with braced struts to stabilise it. A bit like SpaceX's rocket design. It could store just as a long slim tube almost. Minimal tools to assemble.
(I like the Steam Punk idea btw)

I've actually got some ~4" Alum tubing in ~1.2 meter lengths that slides together. If I had a need for a portable pier I'd start there and use 'stuff' to reduce vibration. Might have a play with the idea.

doppler
16-09-2016, 08:13 PM
I have been using a portable pier for 25 years, very solid and stable. The legs each have 2 studs that are secured with wing nuts from inside the tube. There are threaded leveling rods at the end of each leg. I have made an adaptor plate to use this with my Heq5 pro mount. The 10" scope is a bit much for the heq5 but is not a problem for the old cave mount. I can pull the mount apart and take some pics if you like.

I.C.D
20-09-2016, 07:29 AM
Hey Rick you have nailed it just what I am looking for do you plans of it ,if not can you give the measurement or close up photos
Ian :thumbsup:

doppler
20-09-2016, 08:45 AM
No worries, I will take some pics and measurements. The main tube is steel but the legs are cast alloy so you will have to redesign those.

Cheers Rick

vlazg
21-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Hi Ian, his is a pier i had made by a local, Have a look at Strongmanmikes web page, he kindly ket me copy his pier.http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=203169

Andy01
21-09-2016, 08:13 PM
George, that is one very cool pier.
I think I need of those as well :D

doppler
21-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Hi Ian, took a few pics and measurements for you. My pier is short but good for a newt. The adaptor plate I made for the heq5 is made from two bolt down umbrella bases.

vlazg
23-09-2016, 08:19 AM
One mistake i made with this Andy is i have the stays too high up the pier, the 110 just misses but i will have to reposition them lower for the 132. Also it is a bit too long, i am going to shorten it by 300

I.C.D
23-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Hey Rick where did you get the legs made and how much
ian

doppler
23-09-2016, 02:02 PM
Hi Ian, my scope and pier are factory originals, made in the 70's by Cave Optical co in the USA. There was an Australian version of the portable pier called the Samson mount, these sometimes pop up on gumtree.

strongmanmike
25-09-2016, 05:27 AM
Ian, I had THIS (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/new_njp_support_pier) made by a place in Melbourne but any fabricator could do it.

Being made of steal my version is pretty heavy, which is what I wanted for stable astroimaging in the open and it is bloody brilliant. I had two columns made to accommodate my refactor (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/94059384/original) and my Newt (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/146652329/original)

A pedestal design is better than a tripod, especially with a long refractor with camera attached, as you get more tracking travel time before the camera runs into the column, where as tripod legs (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/66204409/original) can cut imaging runs well short of the meridian.

The plans are copyrighted, so if you are genuinely interested in getting one made for yourself, please contact me privately.

Mike