PDA

View Full Version here: : My New Vixen VMC200L and EQ6 w Autostar Conversion

Strgazr27
04-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Sorry for it being a while since I posted :ashamed: Things have been crazy around here.

After coming to the realization that the 12" was becoming WAY too much to lug in and out I set my sights on the rig below. I put it together over the course of 3 weeks. I performed the Autostar GoTo conversion as well as the electric focuser mods. They don't make an electric focuser for my scope. I had the original hand controller and 2 motors laying around so I put them to good use. DEC up and down is in and out focus with 3 speeds. Works even better than I thought it would. The AS conversion was surprisingly easy and the performance is simply amazing. I'll post more details over the next few days.

G'day guys! :D

Strgazr27
04-04-2005, 11:18 AM
A shot of the open tube. It's a Klevstov Mak design with fantastic image quality. A light weight tube, NO mirror shift and light speed cool down times.

Strgazr27
04-04-2005, 11:20 AM
After doing the Autostar conversion on my EQ-6 I had the drives left over and a bunch of wheels turning. I really liked the electric focuser I had on my last 2 scopes but noone made one for my new Vixen.

Not one to waste parts, I began to lay out what it would take to turn the controller, electronics and one motor into a electric focuser.

The other issue I ran into was the loss of the polar scope illuminator when I did the conversion. To solve that issue I will be powering the illuminator from the original controller which will allow me to vary the brightness and disconnect it when done with the polar alignment.

Strgazr27
04-04-2005, 11:20 AM
This picture shows the top with the DB-9 connector which will go to the motor and the N size power plug for the polar scope.

Strgazr27
04-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Here's a shot of the bracket and motor mounted to the scope. I made the bracket so I had to drill NO holes in the scope. I used 2 existing mounting holes to support the bracket and motor.

Strgazr27
04-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Another shot of the bracket showing a slightly different angle

Strgazr27
04-04-2005, 11:23 AM
A shot of the completed control box and hand controller.

Strgazr27
04-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks for looking guys! I'll have some more up in a day or 2 :)

mick pinner
04-04-2005, 12:49 PM
hi Strgazr27,
Who makes the W AS Go To system and what was it worth? Also what are your general thoughts on how the system performs l have an EQ 6 and am thinking about fitting a go-to.
Thanks Mick.

Strgazr27
04-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Mick,

The GoTo is made by ME:D I used the Motor assemblies and hand controller from a LXD-75 Mount. I modified the brackets to accomodate the motors and boards. I also custom fabbed a panel to hold the original LXD-75 Power panel. I would rate the conversion a 7 on a scale of 1-10.

You can read more about it's performance here:

HERE (http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/391395/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1)

Any more questions let me know :)

Bobby

Astroman
05-04-2005, 05:10 AM
Thats one sweet setup, whats the cost of the vixen OTA?

Striker
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
The vixen are suppose to be pretty good...but is it true they only go up to 8" aperture...

Great another scope to look at purchasing....grrrrrrrr

[1ponders]
05-04-2005, 12:20 PM
More knobs and whistles than the space shuttle. You electronicdoityourself guys amaze me. Sweet setup :cool2:

Strgazr27
05-04-2005, 10:35 PM
The VMC200LDG comes standard with the 7x50 finder, 2" eyepiece adapter, flip mirror diagonal, dovetail tube plate and new focus knobs. The 232mm tube rings are sold separately for alternative mounting options with this optical tube. Cost is $1400 US Dollars. IMO....Worth EVERY penny so far :)

Strgazr27
05-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Every review gave nothing but high marks to the OTA. Although right now in the US, you can only buy the 8", Vixen in Japan I believe are now showing advertisements for a 10". As soon as it's available here in the US I will be ordering one.

Strgazr27
05-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Having had the opportunity to sit in the cockpit of a shuttle simulator I can honestly say it has.......OK maybe 1/2 the bells and whistles :D

Thanks for the compliment. It is probably the nicest setup I have owned to date.

mick pinner
06-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Strgazr27,
very nice set-up, and thank you for your reply, l've just ordered a 16" carbon fibre RC because l was fed up with the fork mounted 12" meade sct l have now, however l'm happy with the optics of the meade and may mount it on a synta eq6 that l have and l was wondering if you had any thoughts on the astromeccanica go-to as it bypasses the gearbox and therefore eliminates the PE problems,any thoughts would be greatly appreciated also any info you may have on the Argo-Navis would also be helpful.
Thanks for your time Mick.