PDA

View Full Version here: : Love to try these out ......

FlashDrive
18-08-2016, 01:28 PM
I'll leave my wallet at home......:rolleyes:

You can see more here .....

http://ems-bino.com/category/bino/

Atmos
18-08-2016, 01:42 PM
I'll see if I can track down another FC100-DL :P

Kunama
18-08-2016, 01:58 PM
I just got a quote yesterday from Tatsuro Matsumoto for a project I am planning for next year.......
I just need to sneak a few things onto the Visa Card without the CFO noticing.
anyone selling a TOA130NS.... Send PMs only...

LewisM
19-08-2016, 09:01 PM
If ONE FSQ-106 is like looking through a porthole into space, one can only fantasise/hallucinate about a bino pairing.

I think I'd lose self control.

Don Pensack
20-08-2016, 07:01 AM
I built a pair of binoculars from scopes similar to the pic of the 5" SCTs.
The true field of view is extremely narrow.
For two reasons:
1) the extra long back focus raises the f/ratio and focal length and decreases the maximum true field in an SCT when adding all that length to the rear.
2) any time a longer tube is added to the rear of any scope, the true field shrinks. Want an example? Look at any view through a 10cm long tube. Then look at the same scene with a 20cm long tube. The true field of view shrinks simply from that.

I'd bet the maximum field went from 1° to less than 1/2° on those SCTs when made into binoculars.

There would be much less effect when doing the same to a pair of refractors. If you're tempted to do so, definitely use refractors.

Atmos
20-08-2016, 09:37 AM
For something like this setup I'd be using them for planetary and Luna viewing :)

Kunama
20-08-2016, 10:12 AM
A pair of FS102s would make for a very nice binoscope, I am going to see if next year's budget allows for an extra TOA130 purchase :P and the EMS-UL or UXL from Tatsuro but I would have to borrow a mount from MattT... :thumbsup:

Satchmo
20-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Matt : I wouldn't underestimate those new 120mm APM binos with interchangeable eyepieces - you would need to seriously cut down the tubes to use the Tatsuros device which I would guess is going to lock you into a very expensive binoscope and seriously damage the individual resale value of the OTA 's .

Binewts are by far the cheapest way into a serious binocular particularly if you like ATMing ( but of course not as sexy as a refractor bino )

Have you seen David Moorhouses `Baby Bino ' 8" F6 built around a pair of off the shelf chinese mirrors ?

http://www.binoscope.co.nz/babybino.htm

Kunama
20-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Hi Mark,
The APM do sound like a nice bit of kit.... I think Stefan has some on order...
The TOA130 with the 2.7" focuser can actually accommodate the latest version of the EMS-UL without cutting the OTA. The extension tube in the focuser is removed to make up the difference. The latest EMS units have light paths of 120mm and 150mm so very much the same as using the current TV Binovue and Diagonal.

If I do go ahead I will build the mount completely using encoders and another Nexus DSC. My plan B is using a pair of TSA120s instead, for this I won't even need to apply to the CFO for funding but would have to dispense with the TOA ownership. It was actually a discussion with Brian Cox that set this in motion...
I have invited him to test drive the setup if it eventuates.
All this is still in the dream stage, much depends on how much my wife spends on the next house.....

AstroApprentice
20-08-2016, 05:44 PM
I love the idea of light weight Borg refractor binos
https://digiborg.wordpress.com/2016/08/15/borg-black-90fl-bino-metal-tripod-for-takahashi-em-11/
The AOK collimatable bino adapter looks like a good way to achieve it.

Allan
20-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Very cool Matt. I was so impressed with the TOA130 binoscope pictures I saw coming out of Hong Kong. I know we joked about it, but I haven't seriously considered doing the same. It would be a fairly heavy setup, but perhaps visually un-rivalled. I will watch what you do with interest.

I just picked up a pair of Docters for use in an APM120. I'm going to order it later this year once I get the last bits for the big dob paid for.

Atmos
20-08-2016, 08:48 PM
A dual TSA120 or TOA130 setup would be mind boggling!

Allan
20-08-2016, 08:59 PM
The only thing better looking than a TOA 130, is two TOA 130's.

Atmos
20-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Only thing that looks better than two TOA 130's would be two TOA 150's :D

Kunama
20-08-2016, 09:07 PM
tell me about it..... just been discussing this setup with its owner/builder

Atmos
20-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Think you'll be ready for Tak Attack 2017?

Satchmo
22-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Hi Matt

So I'd guess by the time you mount these and fit the EMS system a TA120 build is going to cost $15,000 plus eyepieces ?

I'm intrigued as to what illumination discussion with Brian Cox provided to entice you as an accomplished ATMer to spend so much on such a small aperture binocular `folly' :)

EDIT : I meant more to say `indulgence' rather than `folly' in terms of the high cost per inch factor.

Mark

AstroApprentice
22-08-2016, 10:50 AM
You'll need a Starchair 3000 for the big Tak Binos!
http://www.starchair.com/index.html
I was surprised to see these are made in Aus...

Kunama
22-08-2016, 12:11 PM
:question:

Probably not quite as much as that, but still a substantial spend.... If I go with the TSAs I can convert my T-Rex to carry the setup and retain the encoders.
The beauty of using TOAs or TSAs is that their backfocus can accommodate the EMS without modification so the whole setup is reversible. I would not contemplate this if it meant chopping tubes on any of my Taks....
The minimum EMS system is the EMS-UL at about $2.5k landed. $9k for a pair of used TSAs and a few bits of aluminium plate..... I already have the TRex and Berlebach Planet....

I wonder if Allan will notice his TOA missing once the giant Dob arrives?

This may all be vetoed by the dearly beloved, but she has been pretty reasonable in the past when I have had a few bouts of Takitis...

It sure would be an indulgence but I wouldn't be Pat Malone in that regard....
I have seen many very very expensive setups here on Ice that hardly see starlight.... I think the whole hobby is an indulgence if not a folly at times :D

Then again, when Jennifer sees this plan and the proposed budget, she may be more accommodating of my other plan of a 22" F4.2 mirror for the next Dob build..... ( now to find a mirror guru in Oz.... :question: )

Atmos
22-08-2016, 02:19 PM
I suppose the big benefit to all of this is even if I doesn't get much use, it's all sellable again with quite minimal loss of many bits are bought second hand.

Satchmo
22-08-2016, 07:14 PM
I think this is called Tak-Speak :P - I will have to enter that in my translator .

So maybe $15K by the time you add the pair of 17mm Ethos :)

I'm still intrigued by the affect a conversation with Brian Cox had on you - are you sure he is not working undercover for Takahashi :question:

Satchmo
22-08-2016, 07:18 PM
I've used one of these chairs belonging to 3RF . In fact I would forgo the Tak thing for the same budget and go for the APM 120 bino if there was a straight through version and one of these chairs . Being able to pan around the sky with a joystick in perfect comfort is priceless. :)

Kunama
22-08-2016, 07:26 PM
The conversation only reminded me of a prior plan I had back around 2008 after trying out a binoscope in Europe for the first time. I didn't have the funds then and even though the budget is decidedly healthier these days I still have to get this past the Financial Manager........

You might be onto something about the guy being a Tak rep, he did mention his TOA had just been delivered to his house in France.....