PDA

View Full Version here: : 10" dobs selling like hotcakes

casstony
10-11-2006, 08:59 AM
I'd been trying to get a 10" dob from Bintel for a few months but they'd always been on the slow boat from China bound for Oz. Called them yesterday and managed to get one of the last two they had in stock from the most recent shipment. I guess the 10" is very popular?

iceman
10-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Yeh I'd say so - they're the perfect mix or aperture and portability.

acropolite
10-11-2006, 07:58 PM
As value for money they're hard to beat.:thumbsup:

wavelandscott
10-11-2006, 11:15 PM
They are "good value" for the money no doubt.

I hope you enjoy your new scope!

ving
11-11-2006, 07:24 AM
i'd say that the price is right. they are the same price as my 8" gso dob when i bought that! :doh:

casstony
11-11-2006, 08:38 AM
They are a good size and good price but of prime importance to me is comfortable seated observing, otherwise I would have gone for the 12". I need GSO to make a 12" f4.5 or a 13" f4.

I'm looking forward to the ultra fast set up time which should be about the same as the time it takes to set up the tripod for the LX90, and I've found from experience that the 10" gives significantly more satisfying views than 8". It'll be interesting to see which scope I prefer after a few months.

Grafted
11-11-2006, 09:42 AM
I have just ordered the last one.. No more left until that slow boat from China arrives.:)
BTW has anyone got some photos of what I can expect to see through the 10inch Dob?:D

Alderney
11-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Nice one Grafted, from bino's to a 10 incher thats the way to go.
Next you will need more or less in order of importance.
Long Cheshire/sight tube, for collimation.
Telrad finder, for ease of lining up on targets before using 8x50 finder scope
Better wider eyepieces, this is where it can get quite expensive.

As for pic's of what you can expect to see, go to one of Mike's (iceman) threads and click on his photo galleryas he uses a 10 inch like yours.
Remember though a camara see's more than an eye

xelasnave
11-11-2006, 11:39 AM
What do expect to be looking at first?:D

wavelandscott
11-11-2006, 11:44 AM
I could not agree more, either "store bought" or "homemade" I agree a good sturdy adjustable chair is a huge aide in observing :whistle:

xelasnave
11-11-2006, 12:22 PM
When I started in the game about 3/4 years ago I wanted a big scope..I was building a 9.25 inch (which I thought was 8 inch until I actually measured it) but around then was looking for large mirrors in the USA on the net..The best I came up with was a 10inch mirror for $1500 us dollars ..makes the current crop of 10 inchers look dam good value. I think the best I could do with a 16inch was about $7000 US dollars. I like China they have been good to me.
alex

casstony
11-11-2006, 12:50 PM
[BTW has anyone got some photos of what I can expect to see through the 10inch Dob?:D[/quote]

Here's an article from cloudynights that shows some drawings of DSO's. http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=808
You'll probably see more through your scope unless you have bad light pollution. From a dark sky site you would see a lot more detail than is shown in the drawings.

xelasnave
11-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I expect the 10 inch has the same problem but my 12 inch really needs baffles, dont underestimate the light that bounces around and destroys your contrast..I have a baffle extention some 2.5 feet long for my refractor and it sure works...and if you look at Hubble you will see that they extend the baffles past the secondary and that is an even better authority on its usefulness.
alex

Grafted
11-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Well it will be my first time ever using a telescope so its going to be new to me. I guess the first port of call will be a closeup of the moon, than I am not sure.
I will have to look at the manual apparantly it has suggestions whats good for a look, You have any suggestions?
:help:
Nice one Grafted, from bino's to a 10 incher thats the way to go

Actually I went for the 10 inch Dob over the Binos. I will get myself some Binos at a later stage, but for now I think the Dobs going to keep me busy star gazing. :D

I have checked out icemans photo's.. very impressive. How did he get the shots of the sun? Obvisiously you can't look directly into the sun so whats the trick?