PDA

View Full Version here: : Celestron C8 vs. Meade LX200R 8" OTA

DJ N
08-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Hi all,

As mentioned on a previous thread, I intend to purchase an 8” SCT/cadiatropic for my ‘intended’ HEQ5 Pro. The purpose would be both visual and to dabble in photography. However, once again I come to a cross road (I hope I am not starting an all out verbal war of Celestron versus Meade – heh heh)

· Celestron C8 OTA
· Meade 8” LX200R OTA
· Any other particular brand??

I am having difficulty in establishing whether one has any advantage over another (except personal taste), so I was hoping for some feedback!

Cheers,

Daniel

h0ughy
08-11-2006, 07:39 PM
the Meade has mirror lock, apart from that they are very similar

merlin8r
08-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Plus the LX200R has a flatter field. No biggie for visual use, but better for photography.

Clear skies,
Shane

g__day
09-11-2006, 02:13 AM
In the 8" range - I'd favour the Meade 200R optics over the Celestron unless the comparative price was too high. Mind you a Meade fork mounted 8" OTA was on sale here last week for $650 - a complete steal!

I use a C9.25 CF and love it. Had my mount more carrying capacity I'd loved a 10" 200R, but my dream scope would be a C14.

DJ N
09-11-2006, 08:54 AM
[quote=h0ughy]the Meade has mirror lock, apart from that they are very similar[/quote

Hi h0ughy,

Not 100% sure what mirror lock is?

Cheers,

Daniel]

g__day
09-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Mirror lock:

You focus the primary mirror - then lock it, this prevents mirror travel around the threaded gears and hence de-focusing caused by "mirror flop" as you move your OTA around the sky. Then all you have to worry about is the tube length changing as the temperature falls and the body of your OTA contracts. You counteract that using electronic focusers, some of which have temperature sensors and automatic compensators for focus, and by always assuring focus by doing final focus against gravity to minimise flop.

Robert_T
09-11-2006, 10:16 AM
it may be a small (or non-existant) point, but the Celestron OTA's will come with a dovetail plate affixed that you should? be able to bolt straight onto the HEQ5 ... not sure if the Meade's are so endowed?

cheers,

ving
09-11-2006, 12:09 PM
as a matter of interest there is currently a c8 avaliable for sale in teh umm.. for sale section for $650.
if i had the money id grab it.

Heian
09-11-2006, 12:52 PM
As the owner of said C8 OTA, I can comment that "mirror flop" in an 8" SCT has not been a problem to me, but then I've only ever used it for visual work. The Celestron C8 can have a dovetail plate fitted, Bintel + Andrews sell them, which will fit into predrilled holes, and hence onto a EQ5/6 or Losmandy mounting...:)
And I will also add I'm only selling the OTA, there is no mount or tube rings on offer..

cheers
Mark

Gama
10-11-2006, 01:56 AM
You cannot compare the LX200R Optics to the C8, or any SCT.
The Optics are no match, the spot size for, on and off axis, is very small compared to the SCT's or Maks. That is why the field is flatter and larger on the LX200R and the RCX's, and stars are pinpoints to the edge of the field of view of good eyepieces.
If you could get a LX200R, then get it. If cost is an issue, then the C8 will be OK.

Harpspitfire
10-11-2006, 05:10 AM
im celestron oriented, i have a 9.25 and new C6-the XLT coatings are great- i havent had any problems with mirror flop- from my understanding- the new C11 is designed so mirror lock isnt even neccessary- i think my furure retirement scope will be something like the C11 CPC or whatevers out at the time- john-- BTW, if you want to see what a C11 can really do- check out some of noel/greg DSO images at UKAI

Striker
10-11-2006, 08:52 AM
LX200R :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

casstony
10-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Not sure what dealers are in Adelaide, but buying local from a dealer that offers good service would sway my choice. It's not uncommon to have problems with gear from these companies and having a local dealer makes any problems a lot easier to get sorted out.

ashley.gale
11-11-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm guessing these comments are the same for the 10" and 12"?

I'm currently looking for that sort of size. Just need to work out how much of a beating my wallet can take...:sadeyes: