PDA

View Full Version here: : New SkyWatcher EQ6-R mount - difference?

johngwheeler
01-08-2016, 01:55 PM
I see that the new SkyWatcher EQ6-R "Reference" mount is available at Andrews, and shortly at Bintel from what I understand.

Does anyone know how the internals differ from the AZ-EQ6? Both appear to be belt driven and have PPEC, although PEC figures are not quoted.

Both mounts are priced the same at Andrews, which raises the question if the EQ6-R has some other advantage over the arguably more flexible AZ-EQ6 (which can carry two scopes, and doubles as a GoTo AZ mount).

If the internals are the same, then the AZ-EQ6 would seem to be the better deal, but if the EQ6-R is a more accurate mount, this might explain the premium price over the standard NEQ6.

Thanks!

John

rustigsmed
01-08-2016, 02:10 PM
SkyWatcher present the evolution of “glorious” EQ6: The new EQ6-R

The new frame has interesting including increased capacity and belt drive.
Technical characteristics:

Weight: 17,3Kg
Said load supported: over 20Kg
latitude range: 5° – 65°
Simplified polar alignment with new knobs (more resistant)
Belt drive
synscan V4
Port for camera control
Autoguider port
PPEC

http://www.telescopenews.net/en/montatura-equatoriale-skywatcher-eq6-r/

glend
01-08-2016, 02:18 PM
The R seems to just be a standard NEQ6-Pro with a belt drive kit added, probably as per the az-eq6. Capacity is the same. They throw in a handle and a few software add ons. I already have a Rowan Belt Drive on my NEQ6-Pro so not much there to convince me.

johngwheeler
01-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Thanks! It sounds like the internals are very similar, if not identical, to the AZ-EQ6, so unless there are some significant mechanical improvements (bearings, adjustment screws, gears etc.) then I don't see much advantage over the AZ-EQ6 apart from slightly lighter weight.

It will be interesting to see the reviews of real-world performance.

John.