PDA

View Full Version here: : Hartung's Re-issue

Stonius
27-07-2016, 05:56 AM
Great news!

I ended up tracking down the publisher (Melbourne University Publishing) and telling them how sought after the second edition of Hartung's is in the southern Astro community. I even mentioned and linked to the very long thread on IIS discussing the text. I asked them to consider putting the book out as an ebook because the costs would be very low, assuming they still have an electronic version of the book somewhere. It looks like they're going to go the whole hog.

This is the response I got;

"Hi Markus,

We will make this book available again as a paperback and ebook.
This will take about a month, so will be available 1st September
I will let you know when it becomes available

Thanks,
Pilar"

So excited!!

-Markus

The Mekon
27-07-2016, 08:17 AM
That is great to know! And I am sure the price will not be $200+ like many have asked recently.

A similar re-publishing occurred in my other field of interest - motorcycling. Matt Oxley wrote a book about Suzuki's two stoke GP effort of the 1960's called "Stealing Speed" It sold out quickly and asking price on ebay was $200 for a $30 book. This book has just been republished and can be bought for $40 new.

Though I would have liked one, I never gave thought to paying the ridiculous asking prices for Hartungs.

N1
27-07-2016, 08:42 AM
Nice one Markus! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ghen
27-07-2016, 10:10 AM
I'm in for a copy

StuTodd
27-07-2016, 10:25 AM
:jawdrop: Amazing news, and would this be unprecedented in astro publishing? ! I'm glad I held off from buying an expensive copy. Will be interesting to see how the price plummets on Amazon etc.

Well done in asking..

Stu

raymo
27-07-2016, 11:48 AM
I disagree with John B regarding $200 being ridiculous. The hardback version
which has been selling for around that price was $80 new twenty one years
ago, and allowing for cost of living increases over the ensuing years, would
probably be about $150 now. There have been some sold for even higher prices, which I agree are ridiculous.
raymo

Kunama
27-07-2016, 12:34 PM
I'll buy one for field use but won't be relinquishing my two hardcovers....

Derek Klepp
27-07-2016, 03:21 PM
That's great news

Tinderboxsky
27-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Ditto...but I just have the one hard cover copy.

Steve

Greenswale
27-07-2016, 04:22 PM
An e-copy has real appeal! No damp pages......

N1
28-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Glad the same reckoning does not apply to astro gear. I'd hate to think what an entry level scope sold in those days would be "worth" now :eyepop:

astroron
28-07-2016, 10:08 AM
I would have to agree with Raymo.

Stuff increases in value going by the scarsety of said object and demand.
The Mona Lisa,or Blue Poles didn't cost much to paint,but now are priceless
So if you want something hard enough you will need to pay the price asked or forget about it.
Cheers:thumbsup:

N1
28-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Raymo suggested a very different explanation for increased prices. You might find that the average punter at the time might have found it equally hard to afford the Mona Lisa as they would today.

As for Hartung's - Markus didn't just And that's how you get results.

Stonius
28-07-2016, 02:30 PM
I wonder which e-readers would be most resistant to dew? Or would you just use an app on your laptop/phone?

Greenswale
29-07-2016, 04:06 PM
iPad. I use it without issue, running Sky Safari 4 controlling my scope by Wi-Fi. A sheet of red acetate and low brightness maintains dark adaption.

And.... I fit a couple of 'Warmies' in the cover during winter. Keeps the iPad and my hands warm on those cold nights!

pixelsaurus
31-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Just got back from Stellarfest 2016 which was held at Foxton Beach NZ this weekend. Bought a 1st edition Hartung there for $20. It is a little tatty but can't complain about that. I was going to get the E-book but I think I will hold off. :D

Stonius
31-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Congrats on your find, though I'm not sure what the difference is between the first and second editions, but I'm lead to believe the second edition is the more sought after (and therefore the more expensive) version.

Either way, I'm hoping the ebook version will ensure that it will be available for a long time to come since it's costs next to nothing to distribute e-books and they don't have to fight for shelf space in a bookstore and so carry more longevity.

Cheers

Markus

poncho
01-08-2016, 04:10 PM
in

Zubenel
03-08-2016, 05:00 PM
GREAT NEWS :D:rofl::):thanx:

pixelsaurus
04-08-2016, 06:39 AM
The chap that sold me the first edition said that 2nd edition (of which he has a copy) has been sanitized ie Hartung's personal comments about appearance and colour of some objects have been deleted. I couldn't possibly comment as I have never seen a 2nd edition copy.

raymo
04-08-2016, 02:16 PM
One necessary change made in the second edition, if I remember rightly, is that all the positions of objects have been converted from epoch 1950
to epoch 2000, which is the epoch in use since 1984.
raymo