PDA

View Full Version here: : The Search for Dark Matter - Butterworth Article

Dave2042
25-07-2016, 09:25 AM
Hi all

I thought this was a particularly good article on dark matter from a particle physics perspective. In particular it has an excellent discussion of null hypothesis testing and how this helps in the interaction between theory and experiment. It also talks about how the particle physicists use 'fake' data to keep themselves honest, with the clearest explanation I've seen so far.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/life-and-physics/2016/jul/24/latest-results-in-the-hunt-for-dark-matter

Eratosthenes
25-07-2016, 11:03 AM
indeed, the LIGO researchers would tap on the long testing tunnel producing "false" readings and then document the false data in sealed envelopes. When a potential candidate for a gravitational wave signal was detected by the LIGO team, they would first check the list of false or fake data.

In fact the first "genuine" LIGO gravitational wave signal in September 2015 was recorded during routine commissioning runs scheduled a few days before the official opening of the research centre. The detector was allowed to run throughout the night and when scientists returned at about 5AM there was a glaring signal in front of them. Their First response was to check who the smart arse was that was hitting the detector with a hammer. On this occasion they couldnt find any paper work nor anyone putting their hand up.

In Society Physicists make the best liars and criminals by far (one only needs to look at the obscene and immoral slaughter of civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki during WWII to understand how evil this profession can get). Their level of perpetuated and disseminated deceit is unparalleled in the known visible and non-visible universe as we know it and in any realm that you care to recognise or depict using crayons. (only about 2.3% of my friends and acquaintances are qualified Physicists - a state of affairs that is currently being dealt with by my legal team so I cannot comment any further at this moment in time - but in the fullness of time I may be able to shed additional photons upon this matter so that the general public can be made aware of this serious and potentially destructive social issue)

cheers

:D

bojan
25-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Don't you think that part of the blame lay with politicians?

Anyway, Peter, I think you are really over the top with this rant of yours.
This is amaterur science section of the forum, not "steams my clams" one.

Eratosthenes
25-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Are you aware that in the US about half of the scientists and engineers are employed either directly or indirectly by the Military industrial complex. they design and make the WMDs, survellaince systems, military hardware etc.

every person's actions are a matter for their own conscience and set of moral and ethical standards. They can run away to their cosey warm homes and be nice to their children, but what they have left behind at the place of work is partly their doing.

"I was told or paid to do this job" doesn't hold for assassins when they carry out their masters plans to murder. In fact both assassin and planner are treated in the same manner in a court of law and almost always receive the same penalty.

Let us just recognise that a rifle can be used to protect yourself and your family from a hungry bear when camping, but it can also be used to slaughter randomly at a shopping mall or school.

this is one of the major problems in the science and engineering profession - there is a clear demarcation and disconnect between what products and services are produced and their effects on individuals and society. the illicit drug trade works in the same manner. the growers of the poppy fields and the small time Ice and Meth labs are run by people just trying to feed their families right? - nothing to do with them, just trying to get ahead

bojan
25-07-2016, 01:12 PM
Peter, all that you said is mostly true in one way or another.. but this discussion really doesn't belong to this particular thread.

Eratosthenes
25-07-2016, 01:21 PM
that's true as well.

but there haven't been too many dinner parties where the discussions were restricted to monotonous topics that never deviated into other areas.

And this place is one huge dinner party with lots of guests, drinks, hors d'oeuvres, pastries, wine, chilled beer, cheese platters, those small hot party pies, oysters, pizza, caviar, twisties and telescopes.

xelasnave
25-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Peter are you saying there is something wrong with the way the world works?
I blame the family unit.
The need to provide shelter, food, clothing, education, beer and toys for the family unit has folk doing whatever they can to see food on the table and the mortgage or rent paid.
Under such pressure who amongst us is beyond corruption if the choice comes down to saving your family or contributing to the possible death of others, strangers, outlaws, the enemy, or fools that deserve what they get.
Sad but those are the cards a lot of folk have to play.
If you can change that we would love to hear but unless you can change the world I for one don't want to be reminded of the way it works.
I am OK and although I recognise the world is not perfect I come here to forget that sad reality.
We are reasonably intelligent here and I suspect we each could make a list of real problems that need fixing but I for one am smart enough to realise things won't change in a hurry.
But change for the better does happen.
Alex

bojan
25-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Peter is, apparently.

Dave2042
25-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Peter can you give it a rest for a bit. It's really getting boring.

Eratosthenes
25-07-2016, 05:19 PM
where on earth did you get that impression? I live in the same swamp. I have never pretended to hover over the excrement and stench like a fluttering butter mist boutique.....

It's our mess - some contribute more than others

but as we all know, new growth can flourish in the decaying pit of stench

....difficult to set up a HEQ8 tripod, run cables and keep the wafting condensate off the primary but nevertheless a pit that can provide a solid foundation for future growth

Eratosthenes
25-07-2016, 05:22 PM
But you haven't responded to my comments on the "false readings" technique used at the LIGO facility. It relates directly to your OP.

:eyepop:

Eratosthenes
25-07-2016, 05:26 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with how the world works today - total perfection and sublime fairness for every person. A supreme example of love, justice, democracy and freedom as defined by Hollywood.

There is certainly no way that anybody can improve any aspect of human existence in the world today.

Lets face it, we cant even make a decent telescope these days for under $470, let alone a quality $35 lens - what hope do we have tackling serious issues plaguing the world?

:)

xelasnave
25-07-2016, 08:06 PM
I dislike so many things Peter and I bet my list would be longer than most folks because I am basically a perfectionist however I like most folk create my own universe insulated from reality.
It works so well for me I would recommend you build one similar.
All we have is our ability to be happy.
Alex

rally
25-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Hey Dave,

I enjoyed the article and read a bit further - thanks for bringing it to our notice.
Sounds like the LHC guys need to introduce some of the same processes !

Rally

xelasnave
25-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Thanks Dave I have been driving all day and just got in so I can now look at the link.
Thanks and sorry for my nonsence.
Alex

Dave2042
25-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Glad you like it and no apology necessary. We have some different views but that's fine.

Eratosthenes
25-07-2016, 10:55 PM
a perfectionist with a wild beard

xelasnave
26-07-2016, 10:09 AM
The beard is part of my management strategy.
Happily my unreasonable expectations that everything should be perfect is not a problem these days.
So I can tolerate the world, humans and situations that should not happen if someone just did their job right and did not pretend to competent when clearly they would have trouble tieing their shoelaces if indeed they were allowed to have such dangerous objects.
I fell asleep and only now have read the article and enjoyed it.
Alex

Eratosthenes
26-07-2016, 10:55 AM
an example of such a scenario would be?

:fishing:

xelasnave
26-07-2016, 01:48 PM
I can not speak badly about the dead.
Alex

Eratosthenes
26-07-2016, 04:58 PM
let me put it this way Alex. Your statement concerning tolerance or the way the world is and what humans do appears to be sensible from a personal point of view....but if you apply this dictum universally there can be grave consequences for society.

Slavery for example was tolerated for a very long time in many societies - even the founding fathers of the USA kept slaves.

Tolerance is sometimes complicit approval even if the person doesnt believe it. And if we have enough tolerance of regressive and evil policies, societies reflect it in the manner they treat their citizens and other societies.

Sermon endeth

According to estimates, the moon of Jupiter called Europe may contain more liquid water than our planet earth....Europa is also the "smoothest" object in our solar system. Smooth as in low surface roughness, not as in "jazz-Miles-smooth"