PDA

View Full Version here: : 2 Questions that have already been answered??

frogman
03-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Ok Teflon pads for a dob. Do they replace the factory "bearing wheel" ???? Who has done this mod with a 12" Dob and how many milk bottle washers did you use ?

and 2 is:

Can anyone tell me question 2 was going to be ????

Anthony

slice of heaven
03-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Hi Frogtwat
Yes the pads replace the roller bearing setup.
I haven't done the milk washer trick but you only need enough to take the weight of the base.
I presume you have the 3 toed bottom base plate .
I replaced mine with a 30mm thick round plate.If you use the 3 feet supplied on the triangle base it's not stable.
Using teflon pads you will need another sliding surface underneath the top baseplate. I am using a 60 point laminate at the moment but find it too sticky at times . It's smooth while in motion but stop start is too jerky.(I'm a fussy .......) I'm waiting on a piece of 50 point laminate (like ebony star).

Slice

rmcpb
04-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Slice,

What do you mean by 50 or 60 point laminate?

ving
04-04-2005, 10:16 AM
you are right there slice... still sticky.. I am going to try a cd or something...

the answer to question 2 is white and 2 thanks

slice of heaven
04-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Rmcbp,It's how they categorize the laminates. It relates to the texture of the surface. A 1point is totally flat. A 90 point is fairly smooth surface. 60 point is a reasonably flat but textured finish. 50 point is a very dimpled surface.
Ebony star is available in 50pt or 90pt. 50pt is ideal.
The dimpled surface prevents 'stiction?'. It reduces the amount of force needed to start moving the scope. Thereby reducing the jerky view at the ep.
If they made 24" LP's I wouldn't hesitate fitting one to the gs. The Parks scope rides on one and it 'glides'. But that also has a 2piece support shaft in the centre to stabilize the base due to the shorter distance between the teflon pads.

Slice

Ving : grab an LP . Should be a near perfect size for an 8".

ving
04-04-2005, 10:59 AM
I'd grab cheryls pseudo echo so she doesnt torture me with it... but she'd kick me out :P